msolga

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 06:55 pm
Ah ..... Very Happy Blue Berry Hill!
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 07:21 pm
Motown perfected it!

I've got sunshine........
Heard it through the grapevine, not much longer would you be mine....
RESPECT, find out what it means to me...

I could go on.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 07:22 pm
two by the kinks waterloo sunset and days

the kinks are sadly overshadowed by the beatles and stones, but are equally as good (actually better than the stones in my mind)
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:15 pm
I love to differ with you dj cause you're so hip

What do Van Halen, the Raincoats, Mott the Hoople, the Pretenders, Elvis Costello, Big Star, the Fall, Herman's Hermits, the Jam, Kristy Macoll, David Bowie and Blur have in common? Not a whole hell of a lot except that they've all done songs penned by Raymond Douglas Davies of course. The Kinks songbook of the '60s is varied and strong enough to get such a wide range of groups as fans. The band rode in on the British invasion with loud, unruly rockers but soon turned into a quirky, nostalgic outfit that made their best work totally out-of-synch with the rest of the music world: only Donovan was as out-of-it musically but Davies had a better ear for melodies and more thoughtful lyrics.

When the band started out with a string of hits including "You Really Got Me" and "All Day and All the Night," it looked like they were on top of the world and ready to stay there. Problems racked the band though including, for Ray, nervous breakdowns, blackouts, and drunken fits. As Ray put it, there was "jealousy, greed, resentment, misunderstanding" not to mention his storing money in footware. It was the pressure of touring, mistrust of managers and record companies and worst of all, an incident with the powerful American Federation of Musicians union. Whether Ray did or didn't slug someone isn't important- the result is that the band was banded from gigging in the USA for four years. For a band that was just peaking, this was a disaster. Also considering that most bands don't last for four years, it was amazing that the band survived. As it was, they had to watch a flood of other English bands invade the States and rake in the money.

Back home in England, their singles scored pretty well though their albums were (financial) flops. It was during this time, about 1966-1971, that was the band's prime time where they made great, very unfashionable music. Like the Beach Boys, the Beatles and Rolling Stones, the band starting making albums as complete statements rather than just a bunch of singles with filler. But while the rest of the USA/UK bands were indulging in psychedelic sounds, Davies in company were indulging in whimsy, music hall and nostalgia: you could almost imagine him in a straw hat and stripped shirt with a cane, a smile and a wink prancing around a stage. It was too British for the American market and not "groovy" enough for Swinging London. The result was that the Kinks albums from this time (up to LOLA) were thought to have only chalked up a sales of a couple of thousand only after tearing up the charts a few years before that.

I'll post the link in a minute
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:19 pm
dj, Better than the beatles, in mine!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:29 pm
ok, maybe i'm having an anyeurism or something

are you agreeing or disagreeing with me panzade

i've read the post twice and i'm not sure

all i've got to say is they are probably in my top 5 fave bands
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:35 pm
I'm not one to butt in (hahaha) but it sounds to me as if panzade is in agreement with you!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:37 pm
that was the direction i was leaning myself
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
SORRY DJ my post said how I felt about the Kinks and that I don't think they were as strong as Beatles and Stones. But it's subjective and I respect your admiration for the band.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/kinks.html
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:40 pm
Dang, guess I was wrong!
I thought you were going the other way, since you mentioned all their songs being sung by others!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:43 pm
Love the kinks, just don't think they're as strong as Beatles and Stones
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 08:46 pm
i read the link, it covers most of what i consider the bands best work, i admit the mid 70's to late 80's stuff was not the best, basically anything after the misfits lp i usually avoid
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 25 Apr, 2004 09:02 pm
My nominee for most perfect pop song ever:

Erase and Rewind - the Cardigans
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:34 pm
You've all overlooked one.

Without a doubt, the greatest and most perfect pop song EVER is "Sailing" by Christopher Cross.

Just go to his website if you don't believe me. The intro has it playing in the background. Instant tranquility.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 11:37 pm
Oh, I love that!
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:30 am
Every and any Motown hit.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:36 am
I do love MoTown.
But when I think of pop, I think of the smarmy music that wishes it could be rock, but just aint.
You know, like Muskrat Love, and Grease.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 09:52 am
kickycan wrote:

Without a doubt, the greatest and most perfect pop song EVER is "Sailing" by Christopher Cross.

Just go to his website if you don't believe me. The intro has it playing in the background. Instant tranquility.

Whatever happened to Christopher Cross anyway. I remember when he ran away with a bunch of Grammy's for his fabulous album, then he wasn't heard from again. Confused
0 Replies

fluffhead237

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 10:44 am
suzy wrote:
I do love MoTown.
But when I think of pop, I think of the smarmy music that wishes it could be rock, but just aint.
You know, like Muskrat Love, and Grease.

True. I usually do too, but almost every pop song has been modeled after the structure, melodies, harmonies and hooks found in Motown hits. You can't get much more poppy than "My Girl" or "Tears of a Clown".
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 11:07 am
doglover wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Whatever happened to Christopher Cross anyway. I remember when he ran away with a bunch of Grammy's for his fabulous album, then he wasn't heard from again. Confused

He's still around. The reason I even remembered him is because he is going to be playing in May at B.B. King's Blues Bar. I heard his record company kind of gave up on his second album, and after that, I guess nobody really cared.

But Sailing is still the greatest pop song ever.
0 Replies