What you can learn from Alabama Legislature on Ten Commandments

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 08:43 am
http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/02/things_i_learned_during_the_al.html

Here are a few things I learned about morality and Biblical history while listening to the debate.

- School shootings, patricide and matricide are due to the Ten Commandments not being displayed in schools and other government buildings. – Rep. Bridges.

- "Jesus himself said feed those who are hungry, clothe those who are nekkid." – Rep. Darrio Melton, D-Selma.

- People who believe in Mohammed practice "Muslimism." – Rep. James Buskey, D-Mobile.

"Jesus himself said feed those who are hungry, clothe those who are nekkid." – Rep. Darrio Melton.
- If you proposed an amendment to the Alabama Constitution about the Ten Commandments, Rep. Alvin Holmes, D-Montgomery, will give you a quiz in which he repeatedly refers to them as the "10th Amendment."

- The 10th Amendment was adopted before the people of Israel crossed the Red Sea because Moses didn't get to cross the Red Sea. – Rep. Bridges responding to a question from Rep. Holmes.

- "Love thy neighbor" is one of the Ten Commandments. – Rep. Bridges, responding to a question from Rep. Holmes.

- "Love thy neighbor" is not one of the Ten Commandments but has something to do with coveting. – Rep. Bridges correcting himself a few minutes later.

- Adultery "means having sex with someone you hadn't got any business having sex with." – Rep. Holmes.

- Rep. Alvin Holmes is the only member of the Alabama House who has abided by all the Ten Commandments. – Rep. Holmes

- "Two thousand fourteen years ago, and he was 33 before that." – Rep. Bridges on when Jesus was born.

- The annotation "AD" stands for "after death," (not "Anno Domini"). – Rep. Bridges.

- Before they bombed the 16th Street Baptist Church, "Bull Connor and them" had a prayer. – Rep. Holmes.

- Bull Connor and the others who bombed the church were never arrested and now they're in hell. – Rep. Holmes.

- Alabama State University's baseball team beat Auburn's baseball team in a practice game last night. – Rep. John Knight, D-Montgomery.

- A lot of the Auburn baseball players must have had the flu. – House Speaker Mike Hubbard, R-Auburn.

- This country was founded on godly principles and other people who come here from other places aren't going to change that. – Rep. Bridges.

- "Fifty two of the 55 founders of the Constitution were active members in orthodox churches in the colonies." – Rep. Bridges.

- "Moses and the law, they had their day, but this is a new day and it is brought on by the Lord Jesus Christ. – Rep. George Bandy, D-Opelika.

- Rep. John Rogers would rather adjourn for lunch than finish this debate now. – Rep. John Rogers

- Rep. Bridges has a bad memory and that's why God put the Ten Commandments in the Bible twice. – Rep. Bridges.

- Rep. Bridges didn't include John 3:16 in the amendment because not everybody believes in Jesus Christ. – Rep. Bridges, opposing an amendment from Rep. Bandy to add John 3:16 to the bill.

- If pressed, the Alabama Legislature will table John 3:16 by a vote of 54-32.

- Voting for the Ten Commandments puts souls in peril because "we are voting against what can save the soul of a believer." – Rep. Bandy.

- The Ten Commandments were presented by Moses, an African who was born and lived in Africa and wasn't allowed in the Promised Land. – Rep. Bandy.

- This issue has been tested by the courts numerous times and it has always ended the same way. – Rep. Chris England, D-Tuscaloosa.

- Rep. England is way too knowledgeable, intelligent and well-spoken to serve in the Alabama Legislature. – Me.

- The Alabama House will debate the same bill it has passed before for two hours before approving it by a 77-19 vote.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 791 • Replies: 6
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 11:59 am
@edgarblythe,
An amazing display of ignorance, sure to be gobbled up by their constituent bases.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 12:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
I like the dude who wanted to break for lunch.

Seriously, though, they go through all this crap, and it'll never pass constitutional muster. If they know that it won't, then they're cheating the voters by screwing around, passing unenforceable legislation. If they don't know, then they're too damned ignorant to be in government.

BTW, Alabama (at least in 2010, which is the year I've got these figures for), ranks near the bottom in Teacher Quality, Educational Input (e. g. teacher salaries), Educational Output (e. g. the percentage of fourth graders reading at grade level or higher), and Education Social Impact (e. g. percent of state population with college degrees).
http://www.msubillings.edu/caer/quality_rankings_of_education_in.htm

My source admits that the measurements are imperfect, but the trend is pretty obvious. I haven't looked them up, but I suspect the fine legislators of the Cotton State are mostly, if not all, also products of its educational system.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 03:28 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:
... too damned ignorant to be in government...

I'm not sure it's possible to be too ignorant to be in government.
jespah

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2014 08:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Well, true, and that part's really sad.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 03:59 am
"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself."

-- Samuel Clemens
rosborne979

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2014 06:04 am
@Setanta,
Yup, we tend to think it's just in our time, but it's been like this for a long time.
0 Replies