Need Help for a Philosophy Project

ReedS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 04:42 pm
Hello My names Reed Sager and im currently a Senior in high school. I'm currently in a Philosophy class and our teacher assigned us a Project about God, Evil, faith. And one of the requirements is to ask people the Question "Why do people believe in god" Any answer/reply to this question is much apperiacted.

Thanks
-Reed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 743 • Replies: 5
No top replies

fresco

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 05:27 pm
@ReedS,
See current thread on objectives of religion.
ReedS

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 05:33 pm
@fresco,
This project requires me to get actual opinions from real people.
Smileyrius

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 06:23 pm
@ReedS,
Perhaps I could help you out my friend. The god theory is often undertaken by anyone nurtured with the concept.

On a personal level, I believe in a creator because it is currently the best argument I have been presented with for the beginning of the universe. I lean towards the idea that something caused nothing to become everything, as opposed to nothing caused nothing to become everything.

That is why I believe in a god. The rest of my beliefs in regards to my god rest on this preconceived bias.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 07:02 pm
Quote:
ReedS asked: Why do people believe in god"

Think ALIEN FIRST CONTACT-
Jesus said- "I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....you are of this world, I am not of this world...I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14/ 8:23, Matt 13:35)

So it's only logical to listen to what he's got to say..Smile
How about you Spock?
"Affirmative, I'm all ears"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-vwj.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 2 Feb, 2014 08:01 pm
@ReedS,
Quote:
"Why do people believe in god"

The phrasing of the question can refer to an individual or group of individuals. I'll give my answer for both.

Referring to people as individuals, it is because they are raised by others who believe in god, and are encouraged by religions to faithfully believe rather than question that belief.

Referring to people as a society, a belief in god gives comfort and reason when faced with fear of the unknown or uncertainty and is encouraged by religions in order to govern their followers.
0 Replies