PETE SEEGER DIED MONDAY AT 94

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 12:57 pm

Quote:
On July 26, 1956, the House of Representatives voted 373 to 9 to cite Pete Seeger and seven others (including playwright Arthur Miller) for contempt, as they failed to cooperate with House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC) in their attempts to investigate alleged subversives and communists. Pete Seeger testified before the HUAC in 1955.
In one of Pete's darkest moments, when his personal freedom, his career, and his safety were in jeopardy, a flash of inspiration ignited this song. The song was stirred by a passage from Mikhail Sholokhov's novel "And Quie Flows the Don". Around the world the song traveled and in 1962 at a UNICEF concert in Germany, Marlene Dietrich, Academy Award-nominated German-born American actress, first performed the song in French, as "Qui peut dire ou vont les fleurs?" Shortly after she sang it in German. The song's impact in Germany just after WWII was shattering. It's universal message, "let there be peace in the world" did not get lost in its translation. To the contrary, the combination of the language, the setting, and the great lyrics has had a profound effect on people all around the world. May it have the same effect today and bring renewed awareness to all that hear it.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 01:03 pm
This is a great interview Steven Colbert did with him in 2012.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/417414/august-06-2012/pete-seeger

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 01:23 pm
great stuff...keep it coming
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 28 Jan, 2014 01:53 pm
Three more of Seeger's great songs--Turn, Turn, Turn--If I Had A Hammer--We Shall Overcome.

0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 06:29 am
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 29 Jan, 2014 01:55 pm
Statement by the President on the Passing of Pete Seeger

Once called “America’s tuning fork,” Pete Seeger believed deeply in the power of song. But more importantly, he believed in the power of community – to stand up for what’s right, speak out against what’s wrong, and move this country closer to the America he knew we could be.

Over the years, Pete used his voice – and his hammer – to strike blows for worker’s rights and civil rights; world peace and environmental conservation. And he always invited us to sing along.

For reminding us where we come from and showing us where we need to go, we will always be grateful to Pete Seeger. Michelle and I send our thoughts and prayers to Pete’s family and all those who loved him.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 08:32 pm
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10947240_744564410018_2973494788206056739_n.jpg?oh=7542f70926ebc1b838460243dda5887d&oe=5553AA13

Quote:
Written on Facebook by Kitama Cahill-Jackson (One of Pete's grandsons)

It was one year ago today that Grandpa died. And six months before that that Grandma did. While they felt that it was every person's responsibility to help make this world a better place for future generations - they actually did it. Every time you sort your recycling, sing in a protest, take a walk along the Hudson River, or hear a subway performer or American Idol contestant sing with an acoustic guitar, you are seeing the powerful effect that my grandparents had on the world, and on people who they never knew and may not even know how my grandparents influenced them, or who my grandparents are.

My grandparents show that to make a difference, no one has to know your name. Everyone knows my grandparents' work, but only a fraction of those people know his name. My grandpa would like that.

My grandparents showed that music, social and environmental change can permeate cultures and generations. Although my grandparents did a lot to make this world a better place - if they were here today they would want everyone to remember that while you should learn from and celebrate history, but there is still lots of work to be done. My grandparents, although I feel them around me everyday, are now a part of history. Learn from them, remember them and keep their values and ideals close.

Grandma and Grandpa I will always miss you. Thinking of you today. I cannot thank you enough for all you have done.

0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 09:23 pm
Very touching.
He's a giant among our departed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2015 10:32 pm
Ave Pete. You lived a truly great life. Thank you for everything.
0 Replies