Plato's theory of Forms

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 12:56 pm
How can I fully explain Plato's theory of forms and how does this lead Plato to postulate two worlds? and what is the relationship between these two worlds?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,778 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 01:06 pm
@Adam Cuniglio,
A quick Googling Adam seems to indicate that it relates to the reality of the abstract

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_Forms

Quote:
how does this lead Plato to postulate two worlds?
Maybe World of Forms v World of Substances. I hope someone better versed than your Average Clod (me) will step into explain
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 22 Jan, 2014 07:37 pm
@Adam Cuniglio,
For Plato there are really two worlds in existence -- the real and the actual. When you look at the chair you were just sitting in, you are not seeing a real chair, just the actualization of the ideal of chairness. What you perceive through your senses, for Plato, is just a form of the real world, which is perfection itself but not available to us poor humans on a sensuous level.

(The Wikipedia article which dale linked is okay, but it makes a fairly simple concept sound unnecessarily complex.)
dalehileman

Reply Thu 23 Jan, 2014 12:12 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thanks Andy for saving me the entire morn Googling. Agreed Wiki's needs to be restated in terms suitable for the Average Clod (me)

My immediate reaction however is that Plato's idea is so vague and open to interpretation as to be essentially meaningless
0 Replies