2/5 Americans Who Use the Internet Have Broadband Connection

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:25 am
It looks like broadband has finally become a force in the home internet market. I would suppose that the proliferation of sites that offer audio and video downloading has increased a customers' desire for a faster internet connection.

Quote:
NEW YORK - Two in five Internet users in the United States now have high-speed access at home as telephone companies slash prices to better compete with cable broadband services.

In a report Sunday, the Pew Internet and American Life Project placed the adult residential broadband population at 48 million, or one-quarter of all adult Americans.

Among college-educated adults age 35 and younger, penetration has reached 52 percent.

Most of the growth has been since November from connections over souped-up phone lines called DSL, which now make up 42 percent of the home broadband market, up from 28 percent in March 2003. Cable modems still have the lead, with a market share of 54 percent, but they no longer enjoy a 2-to-1 edge.

The increase counters Pew's findings from last spring suggesting that the broadband market had begun to stabilize. That study found fewer Internet veterans wishing to upgrade their dial-up lines.

Link to Broadband Connection

Do you have broadband at home? What was the most important factor in your decision to go to broadband? If you still have dialup, what are your reasons for not changing to a faster connection?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,915 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 06:08 am
Dial-up just wasn't feasible when I started working from home. Not only was it slow, I couldn't take phone calls while online. Our cable connection is bundled with our television package, so we get a bit of a break on the cost.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 06:59 am
I'm still on dialup. While it's not much chop with downloads, with XP browsing has been fast enough that I can't complain.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:27 pm
I'm rocking with DSL, and I find it very unreliable, but sadly, I signed a contract. I have about 4 more months and I can switch to the faster, more reliable cable connection for the same price. Confused
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 09:53 pm
I have DSL connection at one of my locations (parents' home where I frequent), but I usually use mobile dial-up at home.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:08 pm
Other: I use DIRECWAY's two-way Satellite service. Usually it's lightning fast but it cuts out during really bad weather. Customer service sucks, but don't they all? My cable company doesn't offer high-speed here, so I refuse to buy their TV service either. BellSouth won't sell me DSL unless I buy telephone service, so I refuse to buy from them as well. Leaves me no choice but wireless. I should probably reconsider, though, because I think I'm spending twice as much money in protest. Confused
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 10:24 pm
I'm pretty happy w/DSL. There are plusses and minuses to everything, sure, but DSL strikes me as the way to go.. A good place for info on broadband, and Internet stuff in general, is BoradbandReports.Com
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:50 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
because I think I'm spending twice as much money in protest. Confused

As much as principles are good, I think you should stop doing that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 06:54 am
Quote:
I'm spending twice as much money in protest

I agree with Wilso. You are not hurting Bell South. The powers that be over there couldn't care less. It's YOUR wallet that is suffering!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 07:44 am
Bill, we oughtta chat some time; I've had quite a bit of experience with head-end uplink/downlink systems and VSAT, commercial and residential, as a user and as a ceriified installer and technician for each. I've worked with both DirecPC, which used a landline for its uplink, and DirecWay two-way satellite, and I was among the beta testers, and first authorized installers, for StarBand, through numerous hardware, firmware, and software revisions. With StarBand, I was among a small pioneer group which "took it on the road", setting up the rig and manually reconfiguring the settings as required from campgrounds and such (hardly worth it for "Overnighting" - dish alignment and settings reconfiguration often took hours, and required lengthy, sometimes multiple, cellphone calls to tech support Rolling Eyes ). At the conclusion of StarBand's beta period, I eBay'd my rig. As far as I'm concerned, none of 'em are ready for prime time, and haven't a chance of becoming so untill the problem of the data-handling limits of silicon are eliminated and either we figure out a way to move the planet closer to the satellites or to overcome the lightspeed barrier Mr. Green .

Commercial systems, generally affording far more bandwidth - at significantly higher cost - than residential systems, and used exclusively in closed networks for data streaming of a sort not negatively impacted by latency, between and among remote places-of-business and a central point, have a place, and I guess residential satellite internet is OK for basic web-browsing and occasional downloading (as long as you don't run afoul of the FAP, and are not on an over-loaded transponder), but they just don't cut it for anything else, in my experience. VPN, IRC, and FTP (in either direction) are iffy, and VOIP and Real-Time Gameplay, among other things, just plain don't work over satellite. To my mind, if there is ANY alternative, regardless of cost consideration, satellite internet is in last place.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 08:09 am
Glad I didn't get satellite broadband a few years ago.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2004 02:34 pm
Interesting commentary Timber. I have noticed that many websites are altering their real-time programming (presumably, specifically to adapt to satellite latency), and the results are impressive. My equipment is paid for, so the $65 per month I pay for high speed isn't that far out of line, since I have no need for a landline.

My TV protest is much worse. Basic cable is included in my condo fees, so the $95 per month I pay for the true "digital" Directv broadcast may not be worth it. It is a higher quality picture than the cable offers at this time, however.

The other reason I've kept the 2-way satellite account open is: I can move the set up to just about anywhere. I'm contemplating a move to Costa Rica and my understanding is that it may work even better there than here (taking off Sunday for another visit! Yay!). Connections there are either archaic or terribly expensive so it may prove to be a worthwhile investment after all. I've moved it once myself, and it is a pain (for this layman) to lock in the correct Sat, but not impossible.
0 Replies

skyhigh

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:03 pm
Verizon DSL has been great for me, not one problem or down time yet! I think it has been over a year! Two words for me--speedy & reliable.

I know I sound like I am making money by saying this, it is true.

... no, not really. but I had you going there for a minute huh? Laughing
But really, DSL has been great.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:16 pm
Sticking to dial-up for now. I've got no real need for speed, and in any case my dial-up is faster than my neighbour's cable hook-up. My supplier has just started offering DSL, and I'm looking at it. $20/month Canajun for unlimited access can't be much of a mistake.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:12 pm
I'm using DSL now. In Japan I've had, at different times, dial-up, DSL, cable & FTTH fiber-optic (which was beautiful). The most expensive by an enormous margin was dial-up, since you have to pay per minute for local calls there, and since all the broadband options were dirt cheap (fiber-optic went for about $25 per month). Using dial-up now would drive me loony.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:32 am
Monger, I agree. I have dialup at work and dsl at home, and go bananas routinely dealing with the dialup. Waiting...
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 05:21 pm
I'd pay $20/month Canajun for DSL. Unfortunately, I don't live there, and DSL would be almost $50 Ammurican. Too much. My dialup is less than $10/month, I've been with them since 1994, and once or twice a year when I have a minor problem I call their 24/7 techs and get help right away... Yeah, it's boring to wait for some pages, but I keep a mah jongg game going and go over there and hunt for matches while the graphics come up...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 24 Oct, 2004 06:10 pm
I use a high-end DSL at home (1.5 Mbps) that is just about as fast as a T1 and use a T1 at work.

But for wicked speeds I go to the datacenter and surf on multiple T3 connections.

Phoenix, incidentally, it's 2/5 of internet users. The title threw me.
0 Replies

Chevelle

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 01:19 pm
Shocked I am getting ready to sign a one year contract with Verizon, DSL just became available, we will use 2 computers for now, should I be scared or just a little worried, Chevelle
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 28 Oct, 2004 04:18 pm
craven wrote:
Phoenix, incidentally, it's 2/5 of internet users. The title threw me.

You are absolutely right. Boy, that title sure looked funny when I read it again! I will clarify it!
0 Replies