Japanese Internment of Americans?

gollum

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:20 am
I know that the U.S. has been criticized for interning Japanese people living in the U.S. during World War II.

Did Japan intern, harm or kill Americans living in areas that Japan controlled?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,263 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:13 am
The catalog of Japanese atrocities is enormous. Yes, some few Americans were interned--but most "white folk" who were interned were either British or Dutch subjects, and Australians. Most Americans surviving in Japan in 1945 were prisoners of war.

Empire of the Sun was a successful novel by an Englishman named Ballard, who was, i believe, himself interned by the Japanese. Spielberg made a movie of the novel, which was even more successful. What most people don't know is that Ballard stole the title from a short story by a Dutchman who was interned in what we call Indonesia during the war. He published his memoirs as a series of short stories. Ballard's novel was "semi-autobiographical," but i believe the Dutchman's stories were not fictional, although i believe he changed names to protect the native people, and to respect the privacy of other Dutch internees. I have a book which unites the Dutchman's stories upstairs somewhere, but i'm not about to go up there to start digging for it.

If you're just interested in what happened to Americans, your question has been answered. If, however, you're interested in Japanese atrocities in the war, apart from the out and out slaughter of their enemies, i recommend you look up "comfort girls" or "comfort women," and the Rape of Nanking. The Japanese were truly vicious sons of bitches, and they justified it to themselves on racist grounds.
gollum

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 11:17 am
@Setanta,
Than you very much. You are very knowledgeable.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 12:27 pm
@gollum,
He is, isn't he Gol
What a contrast to his interpersonal behavior

Sorry S., just couldn't resist, I promise to hold off hereafter
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
wmwcjr

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2014 10:09 pm
Thank you, JTT, for posting this information. The problem is that for generations American children have been taught a whitewashed version of U.S. history. For example, I and my classmates were never taught about the U.S. occupation of the Philippines. We certainly were not told about the injustices and the atrocities.

Of course, most nations (the most recent being Russia) have difficulty facing the reality of their dark pasts. We live in a brutal world.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Japanese Internment of Americans?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 07:10:55