On my way to the post office to do the deed....

suzy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 06:54 pm
April 15th Crying or Very sad Been putting it off all day. Wish me luck! Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 891 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 07:18 pm
Luck, and lots of it . . .

Uhmmm . . . was that good or bad luck you wanted? I ain't sure which i just offered you . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:05 pm
Hey, just as an FYI. I filed my state return Monday and got my refund Wednesday. It doesn't make up for the check I sent to the IRS but.. MA is pretty darn fast with their refunds.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 08:29 pm
We don't have state income tax in the upper left hand corner. Posted our X form this morning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:30 pm
I mailed my return on Feb 7. I had to send an amended form to 2002's tax return. Reasoning that if the two returns went in the same envelope the amount owed on the amended form would be deducted from my refund check. My wife had wanted me to file by phone. A bit slower, but less confusion my way, was my attitude. Well, apparently the one that opened my envelope removed the amended form and unknowingly tossed the new one. I filed by phone, per my wife, this afternoon.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:03 pm
Well, I'm Canajun...we filed over the 'net last weekend. It seems there's a nice refund coming, but I'm still crossing my fingers that I'm too insignificant to be audited.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:12 pm
I am also Canadian, and i've been waiting for my income tax return for almost a month....bummer
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:52 pm
aarrghhh!!! Confused
I went to my town's post office only to find it empty and dark!!! I've heard repeatedly that we have until 11:59 PM to file, so I assumed the post offices would be open until then. Not the case! I came home and called the post office near the town I used to live in, 15 miles away, which is often open late. They were closed as well. So I figured, whatever the late fee is, they'll just have to tack it on with my tax bill, to be paid later. So I went back to the post office to put it in the mailbox, and as I pulled up I noticed lots of people coming and going. I walked up to the darkened doorway and there a man was lamenting that he would have to go all the way to Worcester (30+ miles away), to mail his returns, and he needed stamps to boot. I asked him if he would mail mine, since he was going to Worcester anyway, and I would give him a couple of stamps to mail his own. So that's what I did, then I went out and met a couple friends for beers. I hope this guy doesn't steal my identity or something! If he does, then he can pay my taxes!
But as far as I know, they are post-marked before midnight and all is right with the world. I wonder what happens if they're not postmarked by midnight? Do they take your firstborn or something? my firstborn is packing heat and lives in Vermont, so good luck to them! Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 06:58 am
You know, I'd guess a lot of people end up mailing theirs April 16th but you never really hear much about any penalties. I'll bet the IRS doesn't really care as long as they get the return by the 25th or so. They're mail rooms have to be flooded at this time of year.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:05 am
If so, I wonder how much revenue is lost on the late penalties?

Filed back in Feb. Only worked through August, so finished the year in a much lower tax bracket than I started out, then got a nice fat education credit on top of it -- all the money came back.

Usually I'd feel a twinge, but the gummint is paying for a lot of things I don't agree with right now, so I happily keep my money...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 16 Apr, 2004 07:35 am
Thank goodness for the internet. We had gotten an amended 1099 last week from our broker on the net. We adjusted and mailed out the return. A day later, we got the same amended 1099 by snail mail!
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sun 18 Apr, 2004 09:16 pm
Sheesh!
Well, it's over now.
At least until next year. Sad
0 Replies