Distracted driving and calling it in

ehBeth

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:12 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

So, you're saying people can be equally distracted by radios, kids, dogs etc?

the studies are a bit mixed about the degree to which other factors can be distractions (i.e. radios rarely seem to be a factor in test settings) but distracted driving charges can be laid for anything that distracts a driver if the officer/s at the scene think a driver was distracted from the road
0 Replies

ehBeth

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 07:16 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
Why would a song being played at top volume, or even a lower volume, be less distracting than a cell phone?

distracted driving laws are not the same as laws around cell phone use while driving.

depending on the jurisdiction, you could be charged with 0/1/2 things if use of a mobile phone causes you to drive in a distracted/dangerous way.

Quote:
When police do reports at the scene of the accident, why aren't they required to state the driver was listening to the radio, or CD, mp3, etc?

you might be surprised to see how often that shows up in the officer's notes when they're ordered
chai2

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 08:08 pm
@ehBeth,
Good info.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Fri 3 Jan, 2014 09:49 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
So, are you saying Sturgis, that all drivers on the road are equal in their skills?

No. What I was indicating was that a distraction is a distraction and even the best drivers can be affected by them. How many drivers who were in accidents due to distractions considered themselves to be excellent (or at least good) prior to the moment where their life changed?

It would seem to me that very few people would say, 'hey I'm a crappy ass driver so why not use my phone and pick up coinage from the passenger seat while tooling down the highway?'.
chai2

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:53 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:
So, are you saying Sturgis, that all drivers on the road are equal in their skills?

No. What I was indicating was that a distraction is a distraction and even the best drivers can be affected by them. How many drivers who were in accidents due to distractions considered themselves to be excellent (or at least good) prior to the moment where their life changed?

It would seem to me that very few people would say, 'hey I'm a crappy ass driver so why not use my phone and pick up coinage from the passenger seat while tooling down the highway?'.

I was never denying any of that Sturgis.

However, how many people who aren't excellent drivers have accidents that change their lives happen?

I don't know, neither do you, but I'd venture a guess the answer is more.

What exactly was your point?
Sturgis

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 03:58 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
What exactly was your point?

My point is and was that there is no good reason to create a distraction such cellphone usage while driving since it can lead to not only accidents; but, death.
chai2

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 04:05 pm
@Sturgis,
Then what about prohibiting other things many do in the car that is distracting?
roger

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 05:11 pm
@chai2,
I knew a guy that claimed he could turn a corner while smoking a cigarette, drinking a cup of coffee and upshifting his Mack triplex. He was big enough and crazy enough I decided not to call him a liar.
chai2

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:06 pm
@roger,
Wow.
Good thing I'm not claiming I can do anything like that.

Serious question....
Why would it be ok to have a bluetooth stuck in your ear, or your cell phone on speaker on the seat next to you while you talk to it, and listen to the caller on speaker, but not to hold it up to your ear?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic. Is there supposed to be some fundamental thing that makes a bent arm to your ear safer than talking to speaker on a phone, and listening to replies from the speaker?

Ticomaya

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:11 pm
@chai2,
I believe it's safer to have both hands on the wheel.
chai2

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:13 pm
@Ticomaya,
So it's legal and ok to hold the wheel with one hand while eating, drinking, smoking, messing with the radio, etc.?

Ticomaya

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:41 pm
@chai2,
Yes it is.
chai2

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 07:48 pm
@Ticomaya,
Wink pfffft.
0 Replies

Ceili

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 08:11 pm
@chai2,
Not only is it legal, you can get a license without an arm, or be completely armless.
The variables you gave wont ever change, some of them have been made safer though. Radio tuners in the steering wheel, child restraints, Wink drink cup holders.. Most models of GPS wont let you fiddle with them unless the car is stopped. Most have voice modes, you don't even need to look at the map. It's just like having a passenger giving directions.
Cell phones are a relatively new phenomenon. And because of that, the statistics and studies have been very clear.
How many conversations have you had on the phone and missed something someone else has said who was sitting right beside you, or an entire tv show?
We can blank out background noise, like radios or tvs, even people and often do. Our minds prioritize things, it doesn't make actions equal. How many videos have you seen of people walking into things while talking on their phone? Concentration is required.
There is a very good reason why people aren't given test to see if they can drive while using a phone, or drunk for that matter. Examiners don't need the added risk.
roger

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 08:50 pm
@Ceili,
In some jurisdictions, it is not legal to ride a bike with headphones that block the hearing in both ears. Still, if you are deaf, it is okay to ride.
Ticomaya

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 09:54 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
There is a very good reason why people aren't given test to see if they can drive while using a phone, or drunk for that matter. Examiners don't need the added risk.

What is the very good reason?
Ceili

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 10:10 pm
@Ticomaya,
Simple. The average person has the right refuse a ride with a person who is on the phone or drunk. Why would we force examiners give up theirs to prove a moot point?
Ceili

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 10:11 pm
@roger,
Good point. However, you could say the average deaf person is more in tune with their surroundings than the proverbial guy on the bike.
roger

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 10:39 pm
@Ceili,
I don't know. Riding in traffic really requires one to be aware of their surroundings.
Ticomaya

Sat 4 Jan, 2014 11:30 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
Simple. The average person has the right refuse a ride with a person who is on the phone or drunk. Why would we force examiners give up theirs to prove a moot point?

Who says it's a moot point?

And who says the test must require the examiner to be riding along in a car? Surely there's some other test that could be employed?

Or maybe there isn't. Perhaps we cannot test the relative levels of distractedness in individuals.

In which case, it's certainly much neater and cleaner to make blanket generalized assertions.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 09:44:28