Distracted driving and calling it in

Linkat

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:13 am
@Mame,
Mame - you are a doll - but here in the US Chai is correct - you only call 911 for emergency and even that one little minute to connect or give you another number could cause someone who needs immediate emergency care to wait another minute (of course depending on how many emergency calls are coming in).

Of course from your description it sounds completely different in your area - but in the US you can get in huge trouble for doing that.

And I have in a dumb moment called 911 when unthinkingly (I blame it on being pregnant at the time) when I meant to call 411 - as soon as they answered what is emergency I apoligized and said I meant to call 411.
chai2

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:19 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Of course from your description it sounds completely different in your area - but in the US you can get in huge trouble for doing that.

It's not different in her area, as I have posted twice from the Edmonton, Alberta police website....

Since mame doesn't live in Edmonton (although she very well could have been driving there when this happened), I went ahead and looked up other cities and found the following:

From Calgary...

How do I report a bad /distracted driver?
Call the non-emergency number at 403-266-1234.

You will be asked if you can identify the driver and if you are willing to go to court. Both these need to be answered yes to for your complaint to be taken.
http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traffic/Distracted-driving.aspx

This from CTV News station website.

Title of story: Distracted driving law now in effect across Alberta

In states in the story, which covers all of Alberta:

Police say the public should not to call 911 to report distracted drivers, unless there is a significant risk and a driver is displaying erratic behaviour. Members of the public can report a distracted driver to their local station.

Here is the link to the entire story:
http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/distracted-driving-law-now-in-effect-across-alberta-1.691176

These links, and others go on to state that if you witness erratic driving to go ahead and call 911, and this is an immediate danger.

Simply talking on a cell while driving is not cause for 911, but for calling the non emergency number.

trying2learn

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:51 am
Some of you are right and some of you are wrong.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 11:57 am
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3086/3237846372_bbc8dbe7d6_z.jpg
0 Replies

Mame

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 08:56 pm
@chai2,
Well, that's not what I was told on the phone when I called the non-emergency line so let me just call it right now (on the non-emerg line). I'll quote …. "Call 911". Officer Johnson.

Edit: Enough said about this. Subject closed.
chai2

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 09:12 pm
@Mame,
So, you prefer to believe what one person told you, who may or may not have realized you were talking about a person sitting still in a car talking on the phone, rather than what is written specifically what to do on multiple police websites in Alberta, as well as in a news story that specifically covers all of Aberta, and describes what to do in such a situation.

You're going to go with the idea that what once officer verbally told you, over what is cited in mupltiple places as to the proper procedure, in writing.

That's great.

Mame

Tue 17 Dec, 2013 10:32 pm
@chai2,
uh yeah.,, had it confirmed so uh, yeah.
Ticomaya

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:10 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
I'll quote …. "Call 911". Officer Johnson.

Officer Johnson told you that when you see a driver using a cell phone while sitting at a red light, you should report it by calling 911?

You think Officer Johnson would want to be quoted on the evening news giving that advice?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:40 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

According the POLICE OFFICER I spoke with, 911 was the RIGHT number to dial for reporting such an incident. When I called it, the dispatcher could have told me that instead of getting snarky. Another dispatcher might have responded a different way. 'Thank you - when did this happen, what are the details', etc.

It wasn't an abuse of the 911 line because THAT'S WHAT THEY PREFER you dial.

End of story.

Maybe in Canada. In the US, calling 911 to find the non-emergency number would be a serious abuse. Here 911 is for emergencies only. We do not tie up even one of their resources to get a phone number.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 06:49 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:
What I'd like to know is what are the laws and procedures where you live?
I will answer your question.Where I live you call 911 for an emergency.That means a life threatening situation.Yes you can call when you are driving.The calls are recorded.

You saw a woman at a stop light on the phone?How do you know who she was speaking with?Maybe she was calling the police.
0 Replies

trying2learn

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 07:04 am
btw when you call 911 in the United States, you don't know who is answering the phone.It depends on the dept.You can be talking to a police officer,call receiver or dispatcher.
0 Replies

chai2

Wed 18 Dec, 2013 08:02 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

uh yeah.,, had it confirmed so uh, yeah.

Well, someone needs to get hold of Officer Johnson and tell him he needs to notify all the Alberta police websites, and the Alberta news station, and tell them to make corrections.

Me? I prefer to be evidence based, and not go by what one person verabally said, when we don't even know if he understood the question, and go by what is written on official sites of the Alberta police departments.

Did Officer Johnson let you know that if you report someone to 911 for distracted driving, you must state you are will to identify the preson and must be willing to go to court over the matter?
0 Replies

Ceili

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 12:44 am
Seriously people. Beat a dead horse much. No wonder nobody new wants to join the party.
Do any of you have anything interesting to add?
Or do you want to continue, cause it's getting ******* old.
Here's a thought. Instead of jumping on the same point, how 'bout we discuss the idea, as a whole. Like, why do people insist on putting their petty phone calls/texts before the lives of the general public.
Not one of the admitted cell phone drivers were willing to debate the facts, so you jump all over an interaction. The cop may or may not being commiserative and was perhaps extolling his personal preference, regardless, do you agree with his assumption? That distracted drivers, namely those using cell phones, are akin to drunk driving? If not, why?
roger

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 01:03 am
@Ceili,
Well, a partial answer is that drunks at least know they're impared. Usually they know, anyway. Talkers seem to have no such awareness.

There! Back on topic.
Ticomaya

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 06:59 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
That distracted drivers, namely those using cell phones, are akin to drunk driving? If not, why?

When I'm talking on my phone in my car, I'm no more distracted than I am when I'm talking to my kids in the back seat.

Discuss.
chai2

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:16 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

Seriously people. Beat a dead horse much. No wonder nobody new wants to join the party.
Do any of you have anything interesting to add?
Or do you want to continue, cause it's getting ******* old.
Here's a thought. Instead of jumping on the same point, how 'bout we discuss the idea, as a whole. Like, why do people insist on putting their petty phone calls/texts before the lives of the general public.
Not one of the admitted cell phone drivers were willing to debate the facts, so you jump all over an interaction. The cop may or may not being commiserative and was perhaps extolling his personal preference, regardless, do you agree with his assumption? That distracted drivers, namely those using cell phones, are akin to drunk driving? If not, why?

Why am I beating a dead horse, and repeating the same point?

Oh, I don't know, maybe because when I gave the succinct, correct answer, in a non rude manner, I got called a bitch, oh no, wait a moment I got called a ******* bitch. I'm at a point in life right now where I got absolutely nothing to lose, so if someone calls me a filthy name, there going to get it back, and I frankly don't care who it is.

If I'm going to be called a ******* bitch, I might as well live up to it. Especially when the person calling me that is quite frankly being quite stupid, and for all I know what writing this stuff while drunk. I figure she must be, because why else would she ignore the obvious?

There Ceili, that's my reason. If you feel it's getting ******* old (your words), then make your own decisions as to what to do about it.

To answer your question, there are times I akin cell phone usage to drunk driving, there are times I do not.
There is no black and white.

Ceili

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:38 am
@Ticomaya,
I think you're a selfish fool.
I hope you never kill or maim anyone with your vehicle.
Ceili

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 08:39 am
@chai2,
Point proven. Slow. Hand. Clap.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 09:10 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
When I'm talking on my phone in my car, I'm no more distracted than I am when I'm talking to my kids in the back seat.

Actually I am more distracted when I am talking to my kids in the back seat. Usually because I am yelling at them for fighting or some other nonsense they are engaged in.

Personally though I detest talking on my cell phone while driving. Where I live, adults (meaning non-teens) can talk on a cell while driving. We are not supposed to text of course, but use of a cell phone is not prohibited.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 19 Dec, 2013 10:25 am
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:
I think you're a selfish fool.

But then again, you don't know me at all, so ...

Quote:
I hope you never kill or maim anyone with your vehicle.

I hope the same for you, Ceili.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/17/2024 at 08:22:35