April 15th tax day is upon us.

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:40 am
Well, the last day for filing your tax returns has arrived and untold numbers of Americans are struggling to meet the deadline. I have always filed mine as early as possible and can't for the life of me understand why people procrastinate and put off the inevitable till the last minute. What is your modis apperendi? Are you a last minute filer? If so, why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,008 • Replies: 8
No top replies

au1929

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 09:45 am
http://csmonitor.com/2004/0415/csmimg/cartoon.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:25 am
When I used to prepare my tax return myself, I would always send it in early. Now as my return has become complicated, I have a CPA in the family prepare it. As such, we are at the bottom of his list so we tend to send it only about a week early.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:29 am
What are the penalties for sending off your return April 16th? Is braving the lines at a post office at midnight really worth it?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 10:54 am
Penalties for filing your income tax return late range from $50 to $500, depending on your net income. If you haven't filed a return, the penalty is based on the amount of net income shown in your previous year's return. When you file the late return, the penalty will be adjusted to reflect your actual income figure

You may also be charged interest penalties if you owe taxes. If you do not file your tax return on time and have not paid all your taxes, there is a penalty charge of 5% per month (or partial month) of lateness to a maximum of 25%.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:06 am
Last year my state return was not delivered by the post office due to insufficient postage (something like 4-cents), and returned. Can you believe those idiots? Anyway, I just slapped on another stamp and dropped it back in the mail. I got my refund no problem, no penalty.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:37 am
I am a last-minute filer. In fact, I am on my way to the accountant's office to sign the return right now. (He files it electronically.)
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 11:46 am
In the past I may have mailed my taxes a couple of days late. I also may have not been given a penalty even though I may have owed money.

It seems like the deadline and the penalties are a bit over-hyped. Has anyone here actually been assessed penalties?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Apr, 2004 12:00 pm
If the penalty and interest is low, then it is probably not worth the IRS' effort to go after those fees. However, if you the IRS ends up auditing those prior returns, the penalties will be even higher. But the odds are on your side.
0 Replies