If You get a SUPER Public Marriage Proposal, the Answer No, IS it OK To Lie?

Reply Mon 9 Dec, 2013 07:31 pm

Why should the subject put up with being the object of crowd disapproval? I say say yes no matter what, and give your real answer later.

Bonus Question? why do we the people participate in this sort of thing? Tell the couple to conduct their union on their own time I say.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,003 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Nom de plume

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 05:50 am
@hawkeye10,
I agree....propose on you own time. It is the height of narcism to subject tens of thousands to your tripe.
engineer

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 08:35 am
@hawkeye10,
I think if you know the answer is going to be yes, then there is nothing wrong with going for the big production. The fans, the cheerleaders and the bride to be clearly loved it in this case. When the woman says no, she is not subjected to crowd disapproval. It's more a really embarrassed silence from the crowd. Just for you, I looked up this supercut of public bombed proposals.

0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Tue 10 Dec, 2013 11:19 am
@Nom de plume,
Nom de plume wrote:

I agree....propose on you own time. It is the height of narcism to subject tens of thousands to your tripe.
narcissism and probably insecurity as well. Somebody should do a study on how the marriages birthed on these spectacles turn out, I bet the results are poorer than average, which ain't great to begin with. I have the same bet on those super big lavish weddings.

these audience participation proposals rub me the wrong way, and I have not figured out why yet. I dread ever ending up in one.
Germlat

Reply Thu 12 Dec, 2013 06:59 am
@hawkeye10,
I personally wouldn't like to have an intimate moment like that displayed for all to see. You are being asked a question of such magnitude in public ! I have rejected a marriage proposal in the past...even if you love that person..sometimes not quite ready to commit. Are people who do this pushy or are they in adoration of their beloved wanting to profess to the world their love? But if someone asked me in public, I would not humiliate that person by saying no...but once in private I would.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2014 06:06 pm
Quote:
By the 18th century, “it was pretty common for the man to propose directly to the woman, but often, men would still ask the father’s permission to propose,” she says. “Only in the last hundred years or so has the proposal process evolved into more of a conversation that goes back and forth between a man and a woman.”

That means that modern public proposals, which paint the question as a shock to the female party, “end up feeling so retro,” Coontz says. “These days, a proposal is rarely really a surprise. After all, it’s unlikely for a man to declare his intentions in the middle of a Seahawks game if she wasn’t going to say ‘yes.’ ” These stunt proposals are really selling an illusion, and one that relies on an outdated image of a desperate woman waiting for her man to graciously extend his approval. “I love weddings, but these proposals can make me uncomfortable because they imply that the woman has no agency in the decision. The image is of a woman who is sitting there passively, and when the man finally asks, she cries in gratitude,” Coontz says. And by publicizing that image, “the implication is that, for women, this is the equivalent of getting your Nobel Prize—it’s just that you’re getting your M-R-S prize awarded to you in front of the world.”

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/03/20/happy_proposal_day_here_s_why_stunt_marriage_proposals_are_so_annoying.html

There is some logic in this, but my complaint is that if the woman is not in on the spectacle from the beginning then she is being manipulated into saying yes, to avoid making everyone around her uncomfortable. Either way this is not something that should be encouraged.
0 Replies

randomuseruc

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 01:58 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
If You get a SUPER Public Marriage Proposal, the Answer No, IS it OK To Lie?

Instead of lieing. Walk away saying nothing.
randomuseruc

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2014 02:13 am
@randomuseruc,
I will die a horny, eighty year old man. In about a year or so. Forget getting married again. But I'm happy any way. Smile
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » If You get a SUPER Public Marriage Proposal, the Answer No, IS it OK To Lie?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 08:48:06