Hi why is there no posting instructions

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:53 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Oh, I say, what-ho chaps! - a link to an advice page - absolutely spiffing! Chocks away!

Yes, And its ..utterly incomprehensible. The "advice page" looks like a brass rubbing of Abe Lincolns butt.

Now that things are looking up let me share with you. I want to make a new post for the philosophy forum. How do I do it?
roger

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:54 pm
@chai2,
You expect us to believe you responded to a post you couldn't find, in a forum that doesn't exist? Fine! Have a nice day and adios.
JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:55 pm
@roger,
And once more for old times sake.

HOW DO I POST IN THE PHILOSOPHY FORUMS.

This time, I demand an immediate answer.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:56 pm
@roger,
<cough...cough..attention whore> Some people will do anything to attract attention. Apparently, literacy and reading comprehension are not your strongsuits.
Take a look at the tagging forum about which you were recently advised.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:58 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
will you be taking hostages?

I have a roast in the oven.

I'm free until 6 or so...

(I think those guys (less that obnoxious mark dude) started their own group)

they kinda remind me of you...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:59 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Write a post as either a question or as a discussion (see dark blue band at end of the page), and tag it philosophy.

If you want to find a forum (we have very many), then insert the word philosophy in the space on new posts page that says: Search Forums and soon you'll see a zillion philosophy threads.

There may be a Search Forums space on My posts, Popular, New Topics too, but I never look at those.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 02:59 pm
@Ragman,
I think it's Terry Thomas. Ask the twat if he has a gap in his front teeth.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:00 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Smashing!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry-Thomas
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:02 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Anyone who wants me out of this subforum, and that includes me, and sooner rather than later, will expedite matters by illustrating how to make a post to a specific foum.

Ive been here before. I remember. I couldnt figure it out then. About two years ago.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:03 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Loved Terry-Thomas in How to Murder Your Wife, 1965
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:05 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
I just told you that.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:08 pm
@ossobuco,
Why thankyou ossubucco. I will try out your excellently-seeming instructions forthwith. I cannot use twitter either btw. I made two gallant attempts of four hours each. If the instructions do not work I will be back and people will die.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:08 pm
@Ragman,
Have you seen 'School for Scoundrels'?

I once went to a Taverner's Cricket match and ended up buying him a beer at the interval because he had no cash on him.....or so he said.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:18 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I liked him in the 'School for Scoundrels', 1960.

Apparently, in his later years he went broke due to treatments for his advanced illness (Parkinsons). His decline was softened a little bit from the charity of an actor's benevolent charity fund.

Final years and death: 1983–90

"By 1983, with his medical bills at £40,000 a year, Terry-Thomas's financial resources were dwindling. He and his wife sold their dream house and moved into the small cottage once owned by his former wife Pat Patlanski,[221] which she left to him in her will on her death in June that year.

Shortly afterwards he worked with ghostwriter Terry Daum on an autobiography, Terry-Thomas Tells Tales. Although the first draft was completed by late summer 1984, Terry-Thomas refused to release the script and continued to make alterations, but never completed his copyediting: the book was finally published after his death.

By 1984 Terry-Thomas was increasingly depressed by his condition and when he was interviewed that year, he admitted that "one doctor said I've got about four more years to live. God forbid! I shall probably blow my brains out first". In 1987 the couple could no longer afford to live in Spain, so they moved back to London. They lived in a series of rented properties before ending up in a three-room, unfurnished charity flat, where they lived with financial assistance from the Actors' Benevolent Fund.

Richard Briers was one of his first visitors at the flat, and was shocked by the change he saw: "[S]itting there, motionless, he was just a mere shadow. A crippled, crushed, shadow. It was really bloody awful."

On 9 April 1989 the actor Jack Douglas and Richard Hope-Hawkins organised a benefit concert for Terry-Thomas, after discovering he was living in virtual obscurity, poverty and ill health. The gala, held at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane, ran for five hours, and featured 120 artists with Phil Collins topping the bill and Michael Caine as the gala chairman. The show raised over £75,000 for Terry-Thomas and Parkinson's UK. The funds from the charity concert allowed Terry-Thomas to move out of his charity flat and into Busbridge Hall nursing home in Godalming, Surrey. He died there on 8 January 1990, at the age of 78."
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:28 pm
@Ragman,
Yep, like many thesps, he lost it all by various means, but at one time (around the time of the "those magnificent men " type films) he was one of the highest paid actors in the world.

I don't know whether you got the Wacky Races cartoon series over there, but it was massive here for many years, and the baddie "Dick Dastardly" was totally based on Terry Thomas.

He left the cricket ground that day after several drinks, very red in the face and chauffeur driven in a banana yellow E-Type Jag, which proceeded to hit a parked police car on the way out.
Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:32 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Not sure but we (US) had something in our Rocky, the Squirrel and Bullwinkle cartoons. I seem to recall a Terry-Thomas like character was maybe in a Dudley DoRight of the Mounties series of cartoons. then again I had some sort of tropical mushroom and mind is moving low.
0 Replies

JohnJonesCardiff

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:34 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Success!
I must thank everyone for spending the time to explain forum posting.
Thanks once again to ossucobucco ( I've come across that name before).
I'm so glad I won't be needing to come back and kick everyone's ass so cross it off your diary. Bye.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:35 pm
@JohnJonesCardiff,
Missing you already.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:38 pm
BTW - the origin of "hanger-oner" is a person who could not afford the fare for a train ride, so to hide from the ticket master, one would step outside of the train and hang on to the rails around the outside of the car. A free ride, sort of.
A brit told me that, but it sounded credible anyway.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2013 03:53 pm
@PUNKEY,
And also 'letting your hair down' comes from Brit women who worked in weaving factories, who had to have their hair tied up tight because of the machinery.
At weekends they would have the novelty of letting their hair down and enjoying themselves.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:01:53