WHAT ARE YOUR FAVORITE SYMPHONIC POEMS OR SUITES?

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 01:14 pm
(And it needs all the help it can get!) :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 02:53 pm
I do like Merriam Webster's definition of symphonic poem better. It's more inclusive. "Freer in form than a symphony" but not absolutely "single movement."

I brought up the definition of program music to augment what I had quoted about symphonic and tone poems, as they are related.

I had noticed that feature of Wikipedia, whereby it seems that anyone can post an entry about a topic. I tend to refer to Wikipedia quite a bit, but now I think I'm going to be a bit more discriminating about that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 03:15 pm
I knew you were really on the right track -- there's sometimes something thrown in front of you that get's you back on course (like James Arness in "The Thing"? Very Happy ) That's always the problem with definitions that tend to overdescribe. I was just a bit astonished that some poster on that site would make the mistake of limiting something and then giving a contrary example. So I made another change on my heading!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 03:16 pm
Incidentally, how about more modern symphonic or tone poems like Philip Glass?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:26 pm
I never really got passed Glass' minimalist works like Two Pages, Contrary Motion, Music In Fifths, etc., although he's done some music that I've liked that have been used in films, although I couldn't name it.

I like some of John Tavener's works, and Arvo Part's also.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 04:34 pm
Glass' music in Koyannisqatsi is perfect for the film, although I don't think that it could stand on its own.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 17 Apr, 2004 06:16 pm
It does stand up by itself, perhaps not as much as the music for "Mashima." "The Canyon" builds to crescendos that can cause goose bumps and is a piece of music that fits into this thread.
0 Replies