Sociology Research Topic HELP!

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 03:22 pm
I have a research paper in my sociology course where we are free to choose any topic we want as long as it relates to sociology and can relate to one or more theories of sociology.
I decided to choose the topic of Religion, however I am having difficulty trying to formulate a research question of religion based on sociology.
Some that I have thought of are:
What is the purpose of religion in life?
How is religion used in class distinctions?

However I feel as though these questions are too broad. I have sort of reach a dead end and need assistance.
I need ideas or questions of religion related to sociology that would become my research question

Any help on how to go about this would be appreciated or maybe I should change my topic? Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,585 • Replies: 2
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 04:08 pm
@indifferent306,
there are valid statistics regarding religious preferences in small towns. Why not do a "Who governs wrt religious affiliations through time" usingTOWN "X" as a subject study area
I think youd see that ,not only class distinctions but changes in the seats of political power are often patterned after religious affiliations. REMEMBER, just look at a sample small town, (maybe your own)

First Id look up the town boundaries, then the makeup of the various wards and then the vote spreads and how the wards (and therefore) the religious makeups affect the votes.

In Hazelton pa, weve seen a huge influx of Hispanic citizens (who are often conservative Dems when they vote). They now control hzelton and the CAtholic Church has a large influence(used to be Presbyterian , Lutheran an Russian Orthodox outweighing Roman Catholics).
Hazelton was a Scotch Irish Presbyterian "fly over GOP area" for much of its history and quickly began changing in the 1980's.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 05:42 pm
@indifferent306,
indifferent306 wrote:

I have a research paper in my sociology course where we are free to choose any topic we want as long as it relates to sociology and can relate to one or more theories of sociology.
I decided to choose the topic of Religion, however I am having difficulty trying to formulate a research question of religion based on sociology.
Some that I have thought of are:
What is the purpose of religion in life?
How is religion used in class distinctions?

However I feel as though these questions are too broad. I have sort of reach a dead end and need assistance.
I need ideas or questions of religion related to sociology that would become my research question

Any help on how to go about this would be appreciated or maybe I should change my topic? Thank you.

You possibly can find information on the correlations between "in-groups" and "out-groups," and respective religious denominations. Meaning that Episcopaleans are considered, I thought, an in-group sociologically. In-group reflecting their social standing/class in society. And, there are out-group Protestant denominations, reflecting a supposedly lower social standing/class in society. You can find them on your own.

And then the whole question of the sub-cultures within each denomination, and how they have their own social class system, regardless if they do not have a great representation at the most elite social clubs. There is, I believe, a strong correlation to wealth, so upper-class homes tend to be unaffordable by those of certain denominations. There are more than a few books written on this subject. Possibly Google phrases like, "upper class Americans" and the single word "religion."

You can even attempt to see if there is a statistical correlation, based on religion and "average IQ." We are not talking race here. Just religion. And, again, if it correlates to wealth, and in-group status, I would not be surprised. I would not try to identify a correlation to political persuasian, since that could really be for someone that is into parsing a lot of date, and perhaps doing a thesis.

All just my own thoughts; not saying anything I just wrote is worth a nickel.
0 Replies