NY - Train Derailment

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 09:48 am
New York train derails, four dead, 63 injured: transit officials
By Noreen O'Donnell
NEW YORK | Sun Dec 1, 2013 10:38am EST
By Noreen O'Donnell

NEW YORK (Reuters) - At least four people were killed and 63 injured, including 11 critically, when a suburban train derailed in New York on Sunday, with at least five cars from the Metro-North train sliding off the tracks, officials said.

The train derailed on a large curved section of track at 7:20 a.m. in New York about 100 yards (meters) north of Metro North's Spuyten Duyvil station in the Bronx borough, said Aaron Donovan, a spokesman for Metro North, a subsidiary of New York State's Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

A spokesman for the city fire department confirmed the number of dead and said 11 people were in critical condition, six were in serious condition with non-life threatening injuries and another 46 sustained minor injuries.

At least one rail car was lying toppled near the Hudson river and police and other rescue workers were searching for survivors along the shoreline and the waterway.

New York Police Department divers were seen in the water near the scene of the accident, and dozens of firefighters were on the scene helping pull people from the wreckage.

Those injured were being transported to area hospitals, said New York City Fire Department spokesman Michael Parrella.

The train was a diesel with seven cars. The locomotive was on the north end pushing the cars southward.

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo was preparing to tour the scene, a spokesman for the governor said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,025 • Replies: 4
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 09:59 am
I am curious to know if it affected any a2k members.
oralloy

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 03:27 pm

Not really related to the train (unless both were caused by the same bad weather), but another big accident on the east coast:

Quote:
Massachusetts State Police said 65 vehicles, including two trailer trucks and two six- wheel commercial motor vehicles, were involved in a crash on Route 290, near Exit 14 in Worcester, Mass., New England Cable News reported. Thirty- five passengers were taken to local hospitals. The accident scene was about 1,500 feet long and "separated" by two trailer trucks that were completely across the roadway, according to the police statement. The pile up occurred due to icy conditions on roads, police said.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/national-international/233999761.html
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sun 1 Dec, 2013 03:48 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I am curious to know if it affected any a2k members.

My in-laws live in Westchester County but they drive. I have not heard of anyone I personally know who was impacted by that train tragedy yet....fortunately, today is Sunday and not a workweek. I do have cousins who commute to Manhattan from Westchester but not today.

It could be one of the consequences of Sandy which might have weakened some spots on the railway, according to my father-n-law....like you, we're waiting for the investigation....
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 03:35 pm

Breaking News

NTSB: Train was going 82 mph as it entered a 30-mph curve at time of derailment
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » NY - Train Derailment
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 11:46:35