What do I need to get wi-fi at home?

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 06:06 am
I brought a Samsung Galaxy Tablet with wi-fi capabilities. I would like to know what I need in order for me to be able to use wi-fi at home. I already have a desktop computer (Dell),keyboard,hard drive and wireless modem.

I need something that hooks into the hard drive (I think) so I can get wi-fi. While I can use the desktop, it kind of limits where I can use it. Wi-fi should allow me to use the tablet anywhere within range. Too cheap to get the 4G service from Verizon.

I'm new at this and the tablet is my first mobile device.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 04:29 pm
@Goldfinger123,
I was in a similar situation about six months ago. Before I bought my tablet, we had a home network with two desktop PCs (each with a NIC - network interface card) and a printer wired to a Linksys hub/router that was then wired to a broadband modem that was connected to our cable/broadband service.

When I got the wireless Linksys hub/router all I had to do was move the connections from the old router to the new one for the PCs to continue to be wire connected. I then followed the router instructions to define a new user on the network for my wireless tablet, making sure to also set the security features for it to keep it secure from intruders.

The new wireless router was about $25 and the NIC cards were about $12 each when I bought them.

The hardest part is understanding the supposedly plain English instructions to set up the wireless user and security.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 06:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
Reading your post again, I need to say that since you already have a wireless modem, the process may be a little different. Hopefully one of our more tech savvy folks will drop by and offer a better suggestion for you.
0 Replies