Where Do I start?

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 08:06 pm
Im 18 and I dont have a job right now and I have a strong passion for acting,I feel like I dont really need classes because I feel like Im already pretty good at,but the question is where do I start?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 1,512 • Replies: 12

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 09:23 pm
@icykid278,
Get an agent.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 11 Nov, 2013 11:05 pm
@icykid278,
I would suggest you take classes anyway, because you probably aren't really as good as you think you are.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 06:39 am
@cherrie,
I was going to say that Cherrie but anyone with a big ego like our OP usually actually has a fragile one. Kudos for bringing on the truth! Smile
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 01:02 pm
Academy Award and Emmy and Tony winners are constantly taking classes.

That's a big part of why they're award winners. But hey, you're pretty good already. Don't let that stop ya from appearing as a hatcheck girl who's dismembered in the first five seconds and has no lines in Zombie Biker Sluts From Hell 17.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 01:37 pm
Icykid said- "the question is where do I start?"
-----------------------------------------------------------------

1- join a local drama group
2- Get a pal to do you a still photo portfolio
3- Have fun videoing yourself doing short scenes from films and put them on youtube
4- E-mail around showbiz people for advice on how to get into acting
5- Get an agent
6- join an actors union
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 01:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Good solid advice Romeo.

Try and start a Youtube following with skits and other short films. Get more experience behind and in front of the camera. Teach yourself editing, lighting, writing, etc....

Build up a portfolio of work. Get an agent.

If you find you can't teach yourself the above mentioned skills, rethink your stance on taking classes (which you need to most likely either way).
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 02:03 pm
A British PC strategy game opponent of mine is an actor, but I lost touch with him about 5 years ago.
His name is Waleed Khalid and one of his most notable roles was in the Brit TV soap "Hollyoaks" where he played a doctor in a few episodes.
I see he's registered with this British agency, scroll to the bottom-
http://www.reflectionstalentagency.co.uk/actors_45.html

You could drop them an e-mail to see if they'll advise you on being an actor, are you in England?
[email protected]
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 02:26 pm
The statistics are terrifying in Great Britain , with something like 92% of the profession out of work at any one time. What the figure doesn't reveal is that the same 8% tend to work continuously while the same 92% never get a look-in.

The trick therefore is to be in the top 8%. The big break from out of the blue does very occasionally occur, but statistically it's about as likely as winning the lottery, and the last thing you want to end up as is one of those serially unemployed actors sitting nursing a pint in some dingy pub complaining about why their agent doesn't pull their bloody finger out.

Where do you start? Start with getting an education which has nothing to do with acting and along with that do as Romeo said.
You have a hard time ahead of you but it probably will be worth it - no matter if you end up on the stage or not.

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2013 07:48 pm
And the Brit showbiz union Equity might be able to offer good advice, I don't know if America has got a similar union.
Also, I should imagine unemployed actors can claim unemployment benefit same as any other out-of-work professional and live off that between acting jobs?
anonymously99

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 02:40 pm
@icykid278,
Are you wanting a lot of money? I plan on praying for it to fall in front of me from the sky when I walk out my door. Although I may change my mind and decide to never leave my home.

:sad·attempt·to·be·humorous:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:37 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Screen Actors' Guild, but they will need to see some screen credits. So will any agent that's not out to rob you.
anonymously99

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2014 09:41 pm
@roger,
Lost in thought as to what you could be rogering.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Where Do I start?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 12:08:52