The Potterization of YA fiction...

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:50 pm
@roger,
There could be something too that, roger.

Most of the kids at Mo's school adored the magic kid type stories where the outsider type kid becomes a big hero.

Of course, most of the kids at Mo's school were on IEP's due to their Asperger's.

I get the appeal of "powerless/orphan/foster kid finds hidden ability to persevere and become a hero" genera. I've enjoyed my fair share of them. Mo just doesn't.

I'm going to have to put together a list of books I know he liked and see if I can find a common thread....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 04:58 pm
@boomerang,
But it's also something that we're seeing in a lot of other aspects of art. I blame Sarbanes-Oxley - no, really - as it requires that larger companies show attempts to make a profit to their shareholders. These companies are playing it safe and just continually rehashing everything that's worked before in an effort to at least mimic responsible financial management. And in art, that means going with what at least appears to be, on its face, a surefire winner. See: http://nvs.sagepub.com/content/40/6/1132.abstract
boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 06:00 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I'm in the "show, don't tell" category of reader.

Quote:
Too much description in general seems word proud to me, whereas just the right spare description can be scene making in my mind, me painting the scene from the words. I take dialog as show, but needed. I guess I think the characters thoughts, musings, are show too.

I agree. I like a writer that can make me feel connected to the characters by letting me listen in on their thoughts.

0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 06:20 pm
@jespah,
I'm completely unfamiliar with Sarbanes-Oxley but I still get the point you're making and it is nice to see some kind of explanation for what I feel like I'm seeing: take a popular franchise, rip it off, water it down, publish, rinse and repeat.

It seems like someone would say "While we were searching for another "Harry Potter" rip-off the "Hunger Games" walked right up and kicked our butts. We should be looking for something fresh."

Linkat

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 07:03 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I'm completely unfamiliar with Sarbanes-Oxley

Don't mention this - sarbanes-oxley is a nightmare for reporting purposes - not just the showing you are making a profit, but all the useless info you need to provide shareholders in reports - that is really not of interest to them - quote oh you do those reports for work, I get them in the mail and just throw them out - and to think sarbanes-oxley have added to this which only costs shareholders more money -

sorry go back to the discussion after my rant.
0 Replies