I hope Roberta's sitting down

jespah

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 12:59 pm
My maternal grandmother used to make knishes by the method of rolling out a log of filling over a flat expanse of dough, then cutting it out and slapping them on top of more dough which was smooshed together with the remaining dough so that it would all be kind of a bottom and a collar for the filling (always either mashed potatoes or kasha, anything else is a sacrilege and an affront! Such a shonda!!) with the top open to the air and, well, G-d.

Then she'd (I think) brush schmaltz all over it and bake it in a 350 degree oven (why 350? It's ALWAYS 350. You should leave the knob there!) for helfino how long and serve it with a glass of seltzer and a good cardiologist on speed dial.

Wait, who am I kidding?

This was before speed dial.
chai2

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 01:53 pm
@jespah,
sometimes, when I'm feeling really crazy, I set the oven for 345
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 12 Nov, 2013 01:58 pm
@chai2,
Those in Celsius-degree-countries are crazy, too: 356
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 02:52 am
I used to go to a deli in Williamsburg, Virginia (in the early 70s) which served a classic New York, Jewish menu. It was run by a black family. On weekends, there were always lots of college students there, and they were often arguing about the knishes--were they authentic, what would make them better, this is not like grandma's knishes. I liked the place because i could order a hot pastrami on whole wheat with mayonnaise and no one would have a heart attack.
Roberta

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 02:59 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I liked the place because i could order a hot pastrami on whole wheat with mayonnaise and no one would have a heart attack.

Thud.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 03:37 am
I tried that in a New York deli just to see what the reaction would be and i was told to leave.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 13 Nov, 2013 04:29 am
@Setanta,

and rightly so...
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 09:52 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
I tried that in a New York deli just to see what the reaction would be and i was told to leave.

They should have served it to you and forced you to eat it. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/sick/puke-smiley-emoticon.gif
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 10:02 am
@jespah,
Quote:
and serve it with a glass of seltzer and a good cardiologist on speed dial

I thought those were the instructions for serving the chopped liver.

For the knishes, you need the paper napkins, because, for full enjoyment, they must be eaten out of hand, unless the brisket is too lonely on the plate.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 22 Nov, 2013 01:50 pm
@firefly,
I have some potatoes, have some caramelized onions in waiting. Dictates re onions vary by website. Also have some spinach. I suppose you never find the word garlic attached to the word knish, much less turmeric. I may play knish making soon, but not today. They will, naturally, be fauxknishes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 04:39 pm
Bubby’s Ron Silver Introduces the Cr’nish
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/grub/2013/11/27/magazine/27-crnish-strat-opener.o.jpg/a_250x375.jpg
http://www.grubstreet.com/2013/12/bubbys-ron-silver-crnish.html?om_rid=AAApgi&om_mid=_BSnOUHB82zRMm4
ossobuco

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 08:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Great idea, to me anyway.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 09:22 pm
@ossobuco,
I'd try it if I found myself in that neck of the woods.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Mon 2 Dec, 2013 09:57 pm
@tsarstepan,
That Cr’nish sounds very tasty. I'd love to try one.
0 Replies