Would you live in a house boat?

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:04 pm
Ok, I've gotten my trailer park thread out of my system, now I want to talk about house boats. Have you ever lived in one?

I'd think it would be a great lifestyle if you had the guts to live in one. They are cheap, almost as cheap as a trailer house and you get to live right on the beach.

Ofcourse, you have to worry about where you're going to wake up in the morning during the winter floods... Shocked

In Portland, my home town there's about 2 or 3 of them every year that break loose from the dock and you see the tug boats chasing them down the river. It's pretty funny, probably not so much for the home owner.

Even with the risk I still think it would be fun to own one, at least as a summer home. Where else can you get river front property (if you can call it property) for under $10,000.00? You could fish right from your livingroom...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,368 • Replies: 21
No top replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
I think it would be fun too! I don't know about permanently, but I'd give it a shot for the spring and summer!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:23 pm
I live in landlocked Oklahoma, so it's not an option here. But when I last visited my sister in Seattle, she took me to see some spectacular houseboats. I was VERY impressed! I wonder how long it takes to get used to the motion of the waves all the time.
0 Replies

emclean

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
sounds like a nice 2nd home, too small for a famly of 4 tho.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:24 pm
I'd love a houseboat!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
emclean wrote:

Not the ones I saw in Seattle! Two-story, million-dollar ones. I wouldn't have known they were houseboats if I hadn't seen them up close.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:56 pm
Eva wrote:
emclean wrote:

Not the ones I saw in Seattle! Two-story, million-dollar ones. I wouldn't have known they were houseboats if I hadn't seen them up close.

They have some really nice ones. The ones along the river in Portland are pretty run down. As a matter of fact, I think they put a moratorium on major remodeling and new house boats because they want to phase them out. There's some nice ones sown river on the Columbia between Oregon and Washington though that I'm sure are in the million dollar range.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 08:58 pm
Check out this one!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2001/1028/lake_union.html
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:04 pm
Those sure are nice. Now I'm jealous. They don't have house boats here in Boise. I'm not even sure the Boise River could hold one.

The problem they have in Portland is that they have so many bridges, and when they break free every year they run the risk of crashing into the supports for one of the bridges. That's why they want to phase them out. It makes sense to me but it's still a shame. Nothing would beat living on a house with a view of a major city skyline.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:19 pm
that would take all the fun out of a houseboat - can you even feel the water in a mansion that floats?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:21 pm
It's my dream to retire on one....
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:27 pm
Hey, Littlek, what time is it? My clocks are all different, for some reason. is it 11:25 or 12:25?
I'm betting it's the latter, but even A2K is telling me the former!
I know it's pathetic, but I'm serious!
Thanks.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:31 pm
wow, was just looking online at houseboat rentals.....
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:37 pm
I doubt you can feel the waves in a large house boat. But you still have the river right at your back door. That would be good enough for me. I'm not so sure I'd want a house that rocks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:40 pm
Head out to Lake Powell and rent one for a week. You'll probably get most of your answers before you are finished.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 10:45 pm
roger wrote:
Head out to Lake Powell and rent one for a week. You'll probably get most of your answers before you are finished.

I didn't think of that. Now that you mention it, there's a couple of places closer to me in Oregon where you can rent house boats for a weekend. That would be a nice vacation.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:02 pm
I can't find anything on the web except for large houseboats that look like floating trailers. I know there are little floating houses out there, why aren't they on the web?

I'd stay in a cave at lake powell if I could get there for another weekend.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:32 pm
I live pretty close to lake powell, and I've never been.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:28 pm
I live very far away, but I've been there once. It's hauntingly beautiful and tragically peaceful once you get away from Paige and the marinas.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:35 pm
When I graduated from college, I lived on a houseboat for about 6 months. It's fun, but unless you have a really nice one, it gets a bit monotonous. The crapper is a pain, no regular appliances, small galley, cleaning the goo under the boat...a lot of work.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Would you live in a house boat?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 06:38:39