I can't access Priceline nor Google - Why oh why? Help.

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:07 pm
Okay, here's what I know. When I typed in the addresses for google and/or priceline, my computer redirected me to Perfect Nav. I already know that the software is a pain and that it needs uninstalled. I did that. I removed all of my Kazaa stuff and some other files that ad-aware recommended.

So, now, when I type the addresses in, the Perfect Nav does not come up. Instead, I just get a normal message that I can't access those pages. Can someone please help explain how I can access those sites again? Did the software somehow destroy my computer's ability to access those sites?

I'm stumped.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance.

-Nate
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,747 • Replies: 7
No top replies

suzy

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:04 pm
Hi Nate
I'm sorry to say I really can't help; just wanted to commiserate! I get redirected to that PerfectNav a lot, and I hate it. I don't know where it came from.
I went to their page but couldn't figure out how to get rid of it.
I sometimes get an error message, too, that says something about a sandbox violation, and it shuts down or freezes my computer every time. My son, by telephone, said it sounds like AdWare, and my computer doesn't really have enough power to deal with it. If you still have the internet, I don't understand why you can't get those sites. Weird.
I am sure somebody here can help you though!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:11 pm
If it's anything like ShopNav there's probably an uninstall program for it available at the PerfectNav web site.

Sometimes those things get installed when you click OK on a popup ad without reading what you're saying OK to. They try to click you so alway take the time to make sure you're canceling instead of saying, OK to blow up my computer.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
Check your HOSTS file, get rid of any non-standard entries.

Where to find the HOSTS file and how to fix the HOSTS file.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 11:20 pm
The Hostsfile is definitely a good place to start. If that works, you're home free. It may not; hijackers sometimes hide files that effectively rebuild the main browser and search redirect files if the user is sharp enough to try to get rid of them. If not, both Spybot S&D and AdAware, with their current updates, should detect and defeat PerfectNav if run in safemode, though it wouldn't hurt to run CWSKiller and CoolWebShredder first. Links to, and instructions for, all of them may be found HERE and also HERE, where too you can find detailed instructions for detecting, removing, and preventing all sorts of yuckware.

If that doesn't work, and you feel comfortable enough to try this at your own risk, following (as found on several Security/Privacy forums and newsgroups) are manual PerfectNav removal instructions for XP; those for previous Windows versions should be similar enough that they can be figured out.

Start > Run > type "regedit" (w/out the quotes), click OK.
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE folder, open it, then look for and delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {A045DC85-FC44-45be-8A50-E4F9C62C9A84}', if it exists, and 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer\Browser Helper Objects \ {A045DC85-FC44-45be-8A50-E4F9C62C9A84}', if it exists.
Be precise with this; delete only those exact keys, nothing else. If they do not exist, do nothing. Exit regedit and reboot into safemode.

Go to Start > Search > All files and folders, enter "perfectnav*" (without the quotes, but with the asterisk), set "Look In" to "My Computer", click "More advanced options", and select "Search System Folders", "Search Hidden Files and Folders", and "Search Subfolders". Be sure "Case Sensitive" is not checked. Then click "Search now". Delete everything found.

Open Internet Explorer. If prompted, select "Work off line", and don't be concerned if "Cannot display page" comes up; ignore it. From the Internet Explorer toolbar, select Tools > Intenet Options. On the first page, under the "General" tab, in the first panel, select "Use Blank" for Home Page. In the second panel, select "Delete cookies", click OK in the window that pops up to confirm you wish to delete them, then select "Delete files", choosing to delete "All offline content" when that option window opens, click "OK" to confirm you wish to delete. In the third panel, select "Clear History" and again confirm when prompted. Click "Apply" down at the bottom of the Internet Options page, but do not click OK yet; go instead to the second tab, "Security". Select "Default Level" and click 'OK" in the confirmation window that pops up, then click "Apply" at the bottom of the page. Next, go to the last tab, "Advanced", and select "Restore Defaults", confirm if prompted, and click "Apply" Now, go to the 5th tab, "Programs", and select "Reset Web Settings" confirm when prompted, and click "Apply". Then, move to the 3rd Tab, "Privacy", and set the slider to "Medium High", confirm you wish to change settings when prompted to do so, then click "Apply". Finally, click "OK" at the bottom of the Internet Options page to exit.

Now, empty your recycle bin. Reboot normally, connect to the internet, open Internet Explorer, navigate to your preferred home page, again go to the Internet Explorer toolbar, select Tools > Internet Options and, on the "General" Tab, in the first, or "Set Home Page" panel, select "Use Current". Click "Apply", then click "OK" to exit. That should be it.
0 Replies

MySticReBeL

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:03 am
Qhost Virus?
It sounds to me like you may have picked up the Qhosts virus - I had the same thing happen to me several months ago, and I wish I could remember more specifically what I did, but I do remember that I did a search and was able to get rid of 'it' -(when I was being redirected away from google by the time I was able to get in there and fix it I think I found three or four qhost viruses) - I think most of that stuff can be removed by adware and virus removal software, but when I got rid of mine I had found directions online and followed them, and was able to fix it. If you are still having the problem leave me a message and I'll research it and let you know what I did to get rid of it (I'd need to research it to remind myself, I honestly don't remember all the details of what it was I had to do) Good luck, hope it works out for you!
0 Replies

pererik

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 01:17 pm
similar problem
Hi there,
I new here, but I have a similar problem. When i try to access google.com (and any number of other sites such as altavista.com) I get a message saying "there is no website configured to this address". The message has the logo cPanel at the top every time.

Does anyone have any tips?
I have already tried fixing my HOSTS file.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 01:24 pm
Post a hijack this log to a new thread while describing your problem.

If you hosts file is clean, then you are probably having your DNS routed elsewhere.

If the pages showing the cpanel place holder have IP urls it may well be HOSTS, but if they show the actual domains you were trying to go to then your puter is being sent to a bad DNS server.
0 Replies