Family Web Sites - thoughts and inspirations please

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 06:54 pm
I have had a family website for a few years. It started off very very small. I have a feeling its either going to stay small or start getting busy. I wouldnt mind if it got busy but, Im not sure how to keepit interesting.

Basically its a genealogy based site with family tree information. I have been adding Reunion photos, misc news (births and deaths), and not sure where else to go. Any ideas of what to add-maybe what youd like to see on a family site, or what might keep you intersted?

People stop in and browse but, rarely interact right there on the site. Ive been putting in news breifs about information Im looking for, pictures of people I need help with identities, finding out if any other family memebers might be interested, etc.

What Im hoping to do is keep working on the family tree, get more stories and information from more sources, keep people stopping in. I just sent out something akin to a newsletter with information on whats been updated and going on, and hope that gives a bit of a push to those just browsing.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. As always, thanks for your input.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,282 • Replies: 9
No top replies

pueo

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:02 pm
quinn, how dare you start a reasonable thread! this is an election year dammit, you're supposed to start thread on why bush or kerry are poopooheads!, iraq, christ, etc........

a thread about family! what were you thinking! :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:05 pm
Well, okay..I could pull all the skeletons out and start shaking them around the place but, I dont think that would be a good thing.

Exiting and interesting perhaps however so, Ill keep it under advisement.

Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 07:38 pm
how about a message board to get direct intereaction?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 08:46 am
It is set up in a way that it includes a message board. That has been the most active part of it.
I had a live chat area on it that no one used, not even once. I can put it back anytime.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 09:33 am
The newsletter sounds like a good idea.

Have you asked for help? Perhaps you could get one helper for each branch of the family? Call them "Authorities on the....Denver....West Coast...Aunt Millie Twig....whatever they are.

Have you asked for specific information? Birthdates and names of new babies? Marriages? What ever happened to Uncle Henry?

I wish my family had someone as useful as you on the internet.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2004 02:39 pm
Make a skeleton closet section....
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:36 pm
My mother is actually assisting from the other coast when she can but, not really much to do so far.
The little newletter I sent out Friday has yet to prove any information. Ah well.
I try to put up births and all that, hoping others will do the same-so far just me. Rolling Eyes
I was thinking of maybe doing a postcard to all the cousins, great aunts/uncles and those types and listing all the information to see if I could get some more peeps signed on. The more the merrier, Im sure.
Yeah, one great Aunt from each side has written out information for me to add-hard to get the elderly folks to get really computerized but, Ive updated all the information and offered to burn that all to CDs if they want, etc. Its a big job but, I figure the more people get involved, the less work it actually would be for me...since I would think they would add items and Id just check in and keep the peace Smile
The skeleton thing is sounding interesting.
You know-like the Enquirer of the family--I bet someone would log in for that alone! Smile
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:38 pm
quinn1 wrote:
My mother is actually assisting from the other coast when she can but, not really much to do so far.
The little newletter I sent out Friday has yet to prove any information. Ah well.
I try to put up births and all that, hoping others will do the same-so far just me. Rolling Eyes
I was thinking of maybe doing a postcard to all the cousins, great aunts/uncles and those types and listing all the information to see if I could get some more peeps signed on. The more the merrier, Im sure.
Yeah, one great Aunt from each side has written out information for me to add-hard to get the elderly folks to get really computerized but, Ive updated all the information and offered to burn that all to CDs if they want, etc. Its a big job but, I figure the more people get involved, the less work it actually would be for me...since I would think they would add items and Id just check in and keep the peace Smile
The skeleton thing is sounding interesting.
You know-like the Enquirer of the family--I bet someone would log in for that alone! Smile

offer a prize in the next newsletter to peak some interest or not - then you will know where things really stand and give you some feedback for future themes and ideas
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 11 Apr, 2004 07:40 pm
Oh yeah, wy am I giving this stuff away for free...so what ifits family..make em work for it..hahahaha. Excellent idea, I like it! Thanks.
0 Replies