Troubling restriction revisited

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:39 am
In the hope for anyone with any editing power, I'm wondering upon the next software mod whether it might not be made possible to grant the reliable participant permission to delete or edit for a period longer than 15 minutes after posting

It's SO very embarrassing to later spot one such

To determine reliability for instance, one with frequent approval stamps or having participated for years without breach

Other sites of this kind give one hours to edit, or even forever. Why is a2k so restrictive, is it that we've enlisted so many bad people

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 11:52 am
@dalehileman,
OMG! No matter how often it's been explained, you still don't get how this site is set up. A2K is different from any site you frequent. This has been explained to you before..so at the risk of repetitiveness, there are no full-timers... and there is no mods roll-out schedule currently.

The person that is most responsible for the site is doing so at little or no-profit. There hasn't been any mods in a long time but I would imagine that there's a list of mods (and priorities set as well). You have long ago made your concerns noted. IMHO, for you to continue to beat this drum is tedious and unproductive.

Furthermore, it has also been explained that you can use your own computer's editing programs to edit BEFORE you post online. You have always had the ability built into your own computer. I suggest you have your son teach you how to edit first before you post online. It would allow the functionality you seek. This is being made more difficult than it need be.

However, if you still refuse to do this or cant' edit first, then expect the edit functionality change possibility you seek to come eventually. Repeating just adds to tedium
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:15 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
Repeating just adds to tedium
Alas Rag, I'm just such a terrible old fella

In my own defense Rag you must remember how I also commended a2k for many superior features not found in most sites of this kind. However I concede to a sort of annoying perfectionism

Rag rags ragingly

Sorry Rag, sometimes just can't resist
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:17 pm
@dalehileman,
Repeating the litany of your advanced age and health condition is a manipulation. Facts are what they are.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:20 pm
@Ragman,
Yea Rag apparently I'm also very manipulative, little hope for me
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:30 pm
@dalehileman,
Keeping the manipulation up is not the answer. This is not about being a good person. It's about understanding what problems there are what can or cannot be done about them.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 6 Oct, 2013 12:35 pm
@Ragman,
Yea Rag agreed. Guess I'm programmed by the lack of such understanding in the political world and the misconception that it might also apply to worlds like ours

Your continued interest in my perturbations is nonetheless appreciated
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 7 Oct, 2013 08:03 pm
Personally, I consider 15 minutes way too long a time period to allow posters to change their posts. You make a typo or similar error, catch it right away and fix it. Don't come back 15 minutes later and change the whole meaning of the post after others have already commented on it. It can do nothing except cause even more confusion. If you want to fix a substantial error, do so by means of a new post explaining what went wrong in the original one.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 8 Oct, 2013 12:00 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Personally, I consider 15 minutes way too long a time period to allow posters to change their posts.
Hi Andy, yea, most posters might agree

Quote:
You make a typo or similar error, catch it right away and fix it.
No I don't

Sorry Andy couldn't resist

Quote:
Don't come back 15 minutes later and change the whole meaning of the post after others have already commented on it.
I'd certainly try not to; though it has happened, inadvertently, from time to time, for which I apologize profusely to all my victims

I'll agree however that the contributor ought to review any response, avoid major shifts in meaning, or edit in such a way as to make them obvious as editings

Committed violations couple of times in the past 17 years; I've no excuse whatever. Still, as I had mentioned many a site of similar persuasion provides a much longer period, sometimes days or even indefinitely, making the 15-minute limitation seem a kind of insult

….though of course as has been pointed out previously (and occasionally with passion if not solicitude) by others, a2k is somewhat unique by difficulties entailed with software modification and so we must understand if improvements take longer to implement

Quote:
It can do nothing except cause even more confusion.
If not performed most carefully, true indeed

Quote:
If you want to fix a substantial error, do so by means of a new post explaining what went wrong in the original one.
Golly Andy I never would have thought of it, thank you

Forgive me Andy
…but thank you for your concern
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Troubling restriction revisited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:01:39