elderly mother overeacts on regular basis

DTEEL

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:35 pm
My mother is almost 89 years old.I've noticed that in the past 5 or 6 months she's begun to overreact to any problem ,even the minor ones.tonight she couldn't find a writing pen to fill out a form she needs to send to medicare and she pounded her fist on the kitchen counter and continually yelled "damn"!! 4 times repeatedly.this is not at all like the mother that I have known all my life.i spilled a small bit of grease on her kitchen floor today and it's like my mother (ordinarily) to just overlook it and let me wipe it up without making an issue of it.today,she came unglued and just kept repeating loudly "oh my, oh boy,i sure don't want to step in that,what a mess." and she kept repeating this kind of thing with a tone of voice that signified the end of life as we know it.//This is not like the calm loving mother that I grew up with/This is beginning to really bother me as well as getting me agitated and angry at times./ she's not senile 'nor does she have dementia.she does however have sleep apnea and sleeps using oxygen.I tried to discuss her overreacting once and she screamed "you have no idea how it is for me having to remember the things I have to remember "..etc,etc..she's active and indpenedent but pays a person to take care of her finances and to take care of her business transactions so she doesn't have many obligations that she takes care of personally.She does her own shopping for groceries and clothes,etc and gets around very well for her age .most people judge her to be in her early 70's.she looks very young/my question is,has anyone else gone through this with their eldery parent and if so,does this get worse over time? I hope not.it's becoming a nightmare.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:44 pm
@DTEEL,
DTEEL wrote:
My mother is almost 89 years old.I've noticed that in the past 5 or 6 months she's begun to overreact to any problem ,even the minor ones.tonight she couldn't find a writing pen to fill out a form she needs to send to medicare and she pounded her fist on the kitchen counter and continually yelled "damn"!! 4 times repeatedly.this is not at all like the mother that I have known all my life.i spilled a small bit of grease on her kitchen floor today and it's like my mother (ordinarily) to just overlook it and let me wipe it up without making an issue of it.today,she came unglued and just kept repeating loudly "oh my, oh boy,i sure don't want to step in that,what a mess." and she kept repeating this kind of thing with a tone of voice that signified the end of life as we know it.//This is not like the calm loving mother that I grew up with/This is beginning to really bother me as well as getting me agitated and angry at times./ she's not senile 'nor does she have dementia.she does however have sleep apnea and sleeps using oxygen.I tried to discuss her overreacting once and she screamed "you have no idea how it is for me having to remember the things I have to remember "..etc,etc..she's active and indpenedent but pays a person to take care of her finances and to take care of her business transactions so she doesn't have many obligations that she takes care of personally.She does her own shopping for groceries and clothes,etc and gets around very well for her age .most people judge her to be in her early 70's.she looks very young/my question is,has anyone else gone through this with their eldery parent and if so,does this get worse over time? I hope not.it's becoming a nightmare.
Did u ask her to give u an idea
of what things she has to remember ?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 09:54 pm
@DTEEL,
I can't help with the main question, but I am really not comfortable with the idea of someone taking care of her finances and her business transactions. Is there anyway you can get some oversight over this person or persons?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 10:07 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

I can't help with the main question, but I am really not comfortable
with the idea of someone taking care of her finances and her business transactions.
Is there any way you can get some oversight over this person or persons?
"Trust No One."

David
roger

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2013 11:12 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.
jespah

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 11:44 am
@DTEEL,
Have her medically evaluated. Changes in behavior can be early signs of dementia. You may not be seeing it because you are probably not seeing the subtleties. Have a doctor check, to be sure.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2013 12:15 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Trust everyone, but always cut the cards.
1. By what rationale do u "Trust everyone"??

2. If u actually trust your opponent,
then what is the point in cutting the cards?
What is your motivation in so doing ??

David
roger

Reply Mon 30 Sep, 2013 06:23 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Trust them, Dave. After verification.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 07:30 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Trust them, Dave. After verification.
Humen r un-worthy of trust. That shud be kept to a minimum.
U might trust the verification, maybe.

David
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » elderly mother overeacts on regular basis
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 05:58:28