Is it normal my roommate keeps turning the ac to 65?

Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:30 am
I started school in New Orleans this past month and I moved in with the nicest roommate. The only problem is my roommate keeps turning the ac down to 65 degrees. 

I am FREEZING when she does this but I can put up with that. I just put on a sweat pants and a sweat shirt and socks whenever I am home. What scares me to death is what our electric bill is going to look like. I am a student and I cant afford much at all. If it were up to me Id keep the ac at 80 or 85.

As it is right now shell turn the ac to 65 and ill turn it up to 75 (even though 80 or 85 would be ideal for me bc I want to keep the cost low) then shell change it and its a cycle. 

What should I do to handle this situation? Am I being unreasonable or is she? Whats a reasonable temperatue.

Sturgis

Sat 28 Sep, 2013 01:35 am
@buckeye21,
You need to have a talk with her and let her know your concerns regarding the electric charges, which is a reasonable concern. While discussing that, bring up the matter of your finding the temperature a bit too cold and ask if maybe it could be adjusted.

As for a normal temperature, that would vary from one to another. Some love the cold which can be achieved, others prefer the heat.

Very best of luck on this.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Mon 30 Sep, 2013 08:50 am
@buckeye21,
Yes, sit down and talk to her about it. If you are mature enough to be living on your own with a roommate, then you should be mature enough to sit down and discuss with her your concerns. If everything is in your name, which makes you ultimately responsible for bills, then insist that she not turn it down.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 07:50 am
I had a guest in my home, who turned the thermostat to the coldest setting possible, after I went to bed at night. I solved the problem by putting a screw in the control knob.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 03:45 pm
@buckeye21,
Have you discussed this with her? Apparently the two of you have diametrically opposite views about the right temperature in a room. If you can't come to some compromise, IMO you need to look for another roommate.
roger

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 03:47 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Agree, and good to see you back on the boards, Phoenix.
Phoenix32890

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 03:53 pm
@roger,
Hi Rog!!! Very Happy
ossobuco

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:13 pm
@Phoenix32890,
metabolism's vary. That can matter re reaction to temperature.

I've changed a lot. I'm now the thin I wanted to get back to, and, so far so good, keep it.

But my chubby friends don't get me if I am cold going into stores.

I have no idea if temp perception is an anyway related to whatever the data is re body mass. I didn't like cold when I was hefty either

until just recently I talked to the produce guy, saying 'it's cold' and he agreed.
We tossed that around.

0 Replies

chai2

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:14 pm
ok, I gotta ask, because I've seen way more than one person who does this, but for the wrong reason.

My question is does your roommate actually want/like to be at 65 degrees, or is she doing this because she thinks this will cause the temperature to drop faster?

There seem to be a lot of people out there who come into a warm room/house that's at let's say 80-85, want the air at, let's say 75 a, but somehow thinks if they set it at 68 it will get to 75 faster. If I don't watch my husband he'll do this, and he doesn't like being cold on top of all that.

He'll do the same with the heat. He'll want it to be let's say 72 in the winter, but will set the damn thermostat to 80, like it'll make the room warm up faster.

Drives me crazy I don't mind tellin' ya, and I'll admit it's started some fights.

HOW MANY TIMES DO I GOT TA TELL YA WALLY!? IF YA WANT IT TO BE 72, PUT THE TEMPERATURE AT 72!!!!
ossobuco

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:17 pm
@chai2,
That never occurred to me.

You need to invent a game..

I can picture it working.
chai2

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:19 pm
@chai2,
Your saying you'll wear sweats to keep warm reminded me of something.

When I first got out of college, I moved into this apartment to share w/ this girl Dianna who was already living there. Was in South Fla.

I'd come come at 5:30pm in August, and she'd be sitting there with the air turned down to 65, wearing sweat pants, sweat sox and a warm up jacket...in the winter I'd walk in and it would be hot as hell in there, and she'd be wearing shorts and a halter top.

I'd ask her why she was wearing one or the other, and she'd say "I'm cold" or "I'm hot". When I suggested she either turn the air warmer, or the heat down, it was like this was a really amazing idea.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I took it that the roommate likes the temp cold in summer. This is (oh, sorry, freaky.)

I take it as a financial question that the poster(s) should talk about, that could matter a lot. There should be a way of working out the bill, not that I have any advice.

I fear for the bill for our poster, who is (to my view, right).

dagnabbit, do agreements have to be typed out on all this?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:31 pm
@chai2,
Agree on that.
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 06:58 pm
@chai2,
Yes, some people illogically treat the thermostat control like a car's accelerator pedal. They have no real-world concept and think that if you 'step on it', it'll cool the room off faster. They're not blessed with any understanding of how a/c or basic physics work and explaining it to them bores them as they have the concentration of a flea.

Environmentally it's a big waste of resources, and economically it wastes $$$$ in your budget as you're paying more money, especially when you demand more electricity during the prime-time demand hours. So are others and as such the utility charges more at those times. So you end up paying more for cooling that is not useful or more comfortable.

Addendum: if the thermostat takes too long to make a change (more than 3-5 min), either the a/c system needs a recharge of the coolant or the thermostat needs to be replaced.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is it normal my roommate keeps turning the ac to 65?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 12:51:32