George Michael - A Great Man and Human Being

shirley

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:31 pm
George Michael I think he is a great man and human being. from: www.news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3499534.stm

George Michael shuns music industry

Pop star George Michael is abandoning the music business to release his songs online for free instead.
The multi-millionaire singer said he will never make another album for sale in record shops because he does not need the cash and does not enjoy fame.

Fans will be given the option to make donations online in exchange for downloading the tracks, and the proceeds will be given to charity.

He is promoting his latest album, Patience, which he said is his last.

The 40-year-old star made his announcement during an interview with Jo Whiley on BBC Radio 1.

I'll hopefully be a happier man, giving my music and also doing something really positive with my music

George Michael
Speaking about his decision, he said: "I'm sure it's unprecedented, it's definitely unprecedented for someone who still sells records.

"I've been very well remunerated for my talents over the years so I really don't need the public's money."

He added that he hoped people downloading his music would donate to his favourite charities.

......................................................................................................

Check out his official website: www.georgemichael.com
I thought it was amazing, awesome and the best I have found yet.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 847 • Replies: 5
No top replies

panzade

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2004 12:42 pm
I'm a sort of cynical type guy, so take this with a pound of salt. This headline, like"Man bites dog", would have been news if Michael hadn't already collected a ton of lucre from the public and his record company. I mean just how many Hummers and ski chalets can one man buy?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 05:21 am
Exactly. This is great publicity for an act on the decline, trying to drum up interest in a release that very likely wouldn't make much. It would've been a lot more interesting if he'd've done this with Faith or Listen Without Prejudice, back in the day.

Any millionaire can give away an item he thinks isn't going to make any money; it's real news if he gives away something of real value.

PS Thanks panzade; I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:47 am
Yup, I concur. If he really believed in his statement, he would have gone the way of his old Wham! partner, into obscurity. Anytime a celebrity goes public with this sort of stuff, it always smells like a stunt to me, to kickstart a flagging career. Examples: How many "last tours" have The Who and The Rolling Stones gone through? More recently, Coldplay went public saying they would never use their music to sell product, because it was all about the 'art'. Lead singer marries Gwynneth Paltrow, and now one of their songs is selling cars.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 06:53 am
That would be like Pauly Shore "giving" away comedy tapes...like anyone's going to pay for it otherwise.

Or like Magic Johnson giving away....nevermind.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 02:33 pm
This really gets up my nose, he makes two hundred million and then wants us to believe he is now a born philanthropist, bit like Elton John who declared after making £½ billion that he was "giving up this nonsense" and retiring from showbiz.

If they were to give the money to charity, and walk around in sandals like Ghandi perhaps we might be able to take them seriously.
0 Replies