So, what does a $38,000 handbag look like?

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:38 pm
You know, like the one Oprah wanted to buy.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 2,022 • Replies: 18
No top replies

chai2

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:50 pm
I'm not convinced it was all a racial issue.

Could be she didn't fit the profile body image wise of someone who buys that stuff, especially if she wasn't all dolled up.

Still discriminatory, but not necessarily because of her color.
chai2

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 07:57 pm
@chai2,
I wonder what percentage of women who can afford, and want items like this actually go out and earn that kind of money themselves, and how many have that kind of money because the man they are involved with does.

Leading me back to the wondering if the sales clerk didn't feel she fit the image of "someone who had a man who could afford this"
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 06:47 am
Oh yeah, I vaguely recall seeing this.

My main idea about it was in the WTF area. For things that cost that much, my understanding is that usually designers deal directly with celebs, and don't bother with a retailer middleman. E. g. like for the Oscars. Those designer dresses aren't bought in a shop.

So it also strikes me that this is some ridiculous mark-up. There's vanity, but there's also stupidity. To purchase this, even for someone who doesn't need to live frugally, still seems dumb. For designer blahblahblah, going directly to the designer for the product would probably result in a better product being prepared, something unique, probably for the same amount or maybe even for less.

What I think I'm saying is that the super-rich don't buy retail. This is a shop for the nouveaus and the wannabes, it sounds like.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 07:06 am
I suspect the whole thing was used as a publicity stunt to give people an excuse to talk about the new movie Oprah is involved with.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 08:00 am
I suspect Oprah actually likes to shop, even though she is beyond rich.

I'm doubting it was a stunt, but I suppose it's possible. I think it highly unlikely. I know two rather sane people who know her (I don't at all).

I get liking well designed items, but my definition of good design probably wouldn't fit with someone else's who likes $35,000. purses. Last good purse I bought - 2004? - was at a discount place in San Francisco. I think it was $130.
Not too long afterwards, my business partner's dog, a young doberman, partially ate it while we had closed the store to go for coffee. I'd tucked it away and just took some coins with me.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:37 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I suspect the whole thing was used as a publicity stunt to give people an excuse to talk about the new movie Oprah is involved with.

huh, I didn't know about any movie deal, but it makes sense.

jesh, yeah, like you said, designers probably want to pay the celebrities to carry their stuff around, as advertising.

I forget where this took place, Switzerland or something? One of those places with scads of money.

Anyway, that's maybe partly why I don't see this as a race card issue. I don't think stores in a rich shopping district there, or a lot of other places care what color your skin is.....it's more like what condition/size your skin is in.

Ok, I'm saying this as a woman who has always prided herself with being able to pay her own way, I'm aware this will probably sound misogynistic. I just don't think there's that many women out there that outright earn themselves the kind of money it takes to shop at one of those places. It's more likely through their spouse, boyfriend or to the manner born.

Would I buy a $38k purse? No, but I'm thinking these places cater to those for whom conspicuous consumption is important...and since it's conspicuous, it involves a certain all around look, which, for a her kaboodles of money, Oprah may not have, especially when she's sans makeup/wig. Don't get me wrong, she's a fine looking woman.
However, I'm a fine looking woman, but when I've gone to have some superficial cosmetic treatments done, i.e., the removal of some facial vein/hair removal I found it disconcerting how incredibly different I looked from the other women who were there for services, or worked there, etc.

It's one thing to see a pic of a pampered woman, but sitting there 2 feet away from women for whom keeping up appearances was so important was rather disconcerting.
Don't get me wrong, I don't want to look like that, but getting up close and personal to someone (and I'm not taking jet setter rich, just Austin rich) who's daily job seems to be to look good makes me realize there really is a huge disparity. I mean, these women would walk in to have something done looking like I would if I had been off for a month, emollient-ed to within an inch of my life, every inch of me done over, never mind the size difference.
You could just never mistake me for a pampered woman, and I think Oprah might not either, if she's just hanging out sans makeup/wig and in comfy clothes.

I'm thinking it's the old story, of "you don't look like you have someone rich taking care of you, frankly you're just too fat."
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 10:46 am
@chai2,
I see your point, re race not being the problem.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:39 pm
@chai2,
I'd still like to see a picture of this bag.
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:52 pm
I am stupefied by those who are itching to call this racism.

not a damn thing about her race.. just a strange checker who didnt want to pull out a bag.

But.. everyone wants to see the worst , so.. its racism.
chai2

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 02:57 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

I'd still like to see a picture of this bag.

This is one like it, but the one she wanted to see was in black, with little white wings and tail feathers.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CwiUniL6iJI/T1uyLm5nSyI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/wMo4YlLRAUw/s320/07.jpg
shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:50 pm
@chai2,
its missing the KFC hat...
its not black enough to qualify with out that
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 03:59 pm
@shewolfnm,
Oprah took it as racism when she was told she couldn't afford it. It could have easily had class-ism, or chubby-ism going on instead. Assuming that is what the sales woman said. (I think it was in Zurich.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 04:02 pm
http://ca.eonline.com/news/448285/oprah-winfrey-sounds-off-on-blown-up-racism-controversy-in-switzerland

all's well that ends well

Quote:
Winfrey eventually took to Twitter to defuse the situation and sum up her trip to Switzerland.

"Turns out the store clerk did me a favor. Just found out that bag was #38K!!! She was right I was NOT going to buy it," Winfrey wrote.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 05:11 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
This is one like it, but the one she wanted to see was in black, with little white wings and tail feathers.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CwiUniL6iJI/T1uyLm5nSyI/AAAAAAAAAHQ/wMo4YlLRAUw/s320/07.jpg
Come on, chai, is that really the handbag? Laughing

I think the one Oprah was interested in was very overpriced. I've seen very similarly styled, very well made handbags, for a lot less. I must teach Oprah how to shop, and where to shop. Smile

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/12/article-2389798-1B382B7A000005DC-310_634x798.jpg
Shop owner Trudie Goetz holds up the handbag (right) that Winfrey wanted to see.

I seem to be becoming a handbag collector lately. I'm getting with handbags like some women are with shoes. But then I get too lazy to bother changing handbags all the time, so I tend to keep using the same one. Go figure.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 05:21 pm
Gads, it looks like the baggy the New Yorker sent me for signing up for 25 issues.

I recently got the baggie. Don't get me started..

firefly

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 06:06 pm
@ossobuco,
It looks a little better in the suede mix. It's also much less expensive at Neiman Marcus than at the Swiss shop Oprah went into.
http://images.neimanmarcus.com/ca/1/products/mx/NMV1M5K_mx.jpg

Tom Ford
Jennifer Large Suede Shoulder Bag
$2850.00
http://images.neimanmarcus.com/ca/1/product_assets/V/1/M/5/P/NMV1M5P_mx.jpg

Tom Ford
Jennifer Large Leather Shoulder Bag
$2990.00

I still can't see why anyone would pay $3000 for that handbag--or for any handbag.
firefly

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 06:38 pm
@firefly,
Those bags, in the post above, are the "low end" leather versions of the bag Oprah liked--they are the same style, I think they're by the same designer, just $35,000 cheaper.Laughing
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Aug, 2013 06:48 pm
@firefly,
I finally resubscribed to the New Yorker, some deal for 25 issues, 25 dollars.
They sent me a bag with the words New Yorker on it, not too loudly.
Me, I can't easily find the zippers. A fool with her purse. I will toss this piece of poo to the Goodwill once I get to Target and opt for some logical purse.

Annoying, the NYer sending crap. I tend to think better of them.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » So, what does a $38,000 handbag look like?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 05:20:32