How to find previous version of recently changed website

Barich

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 01:53 pm
Hi guys.can anyone please tell me a way to find the previous version of a website as it was about 3 weeks ago on July 18 2013 at around 7:00 GMT?(I have already deleted the history.)The website is NAE.GOV.ET.Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,410 • Replies: 9
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 05:00 pm
@Barich,
Archive.org may work
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 06:13 pm
@Barich,
The internet archive's wayback machine won't really help you. Having worked in web admin for a govt agency the proper way is to contact the agency under an FOI request. That said I have no idea what the procedure is for Ethiopia.

neologist

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2013 09:57 pm
@hingehead,
I should try reading the entire post
0 Replies

Barich

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 08:27 am
@hingehead,
I've already tried every possiblity that you've stated.The wayback machine brings very old versions about a year ago.And the website owners are not willing to show me what I wish to see.But I noticed that google has cached pages.Could this help me to get what I needed?
neologist

Reply Mon 12 Aug, 2013 01:11 pm
@Barich,
Try it. Keep trying.
It's hard to make something disappear on the internet
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 14 Aug, 2013 12:45 pm
@Barich,
Barich wrote:
the website owners are not willing to show me what I wish to see.

In that case, essentially, you are screwed.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 06:30 am
As for seeing previous versions of Google cache, I doubt that's possible. There are billions, maybe trillions of web pages cached by Google, and recaching happens at least on a daily basis, if not more frequently. The computing power and expense of saving every single day would be astronomical, even for a moneymaker like Google. I strongly suspect that previous cachings are written over. But hey, you can contact Google and ask 'em.
hingehead

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 11:01 am
@jespah,
Hey jes, does google still give access to the cached copies? I haven't seen the links in the serp for years.
jespah

Reply Thu 15 Aug, 2013 01:37 pm
@hingehead,
It's looking like they don't. I just did a little searching and did not see the listings for cached stuff.
0 Replies