Why is it when people ask how to become rich, most of the answers are about retirement?

Mon 5 Aug, 2013 07:01 pm
I find it amusing when someone legitimately wants to know how to get ahead, or how to get out of the rat race, and all they get is, live within your means, put money in yo9ur 401K and max it out. These are great ideas for retirement, so you can have a pretty cool nest egg, and be comfortable as an older person. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,871 • Replies: 8
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Mon 5 Aug, 2013 07:15 pm
@carlosc2dbz,
Because for the vast majority of people, getting ahead requires a lifetime of work. Getting rich by thirty is not realistic.
cicerone imposter

Mon 5 Aug, 2013 09:59 pm
@carlosc2dbz,
Get rich quick schemes do not work. Many seniors who thought there was a deal to make money quick lost all their life's savings.

Investing in the long-term is the only sure way to make money.

Putting away 15 to 20% of your earnings is a good way to save for your retirement and rainy day.

The 'classic' investment advice holds true;
a. never put all your eggs in one basket
b. save on a regular basis - preferably every month
c. diversify your investments
d. as you get closer to retirement, increase your ratio in bonds vs equities
e. never try to time the stock market; it can't be done
f. buy low and sell high

Good luck.

0 Replies

jespah

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 03:55 am
@engineer,
Plus these days we tend to spend a lot more time older (and retired) than we ever did before. If you retire at 65 and live until 90, you need a lot more cash than if you die at 70 - and senior living and care ain't cheap. Plus you incoming funds are your investments or sales of assets if you've quit working.
cicerone imposter

Tue 6 Aug, 2013 10:04 am
@jespah,
We live in Silicon Valley where the cost of living is pretty high. My wife and I started looking for retirement places to stay after we sell our home, and the prices are rather expensive in this area.

We're looking at Moldaw, a Jewish operated senior living community. It's going to cost over $320,000 to buy in and $6,000 per month to live there.

As a matter of fact, one of the sales lady called us yesterday to inquire when we might be moving in. We're still looking at a couple of years before we move, because we can still do some "work" around the house, and my wife volunteers at the local library and hospital.

Yes, it's very expensive here, and not many can afford to buy homes.
0 Replies

adammiller

Thu 19 Sep, 2013 07:06 am
@carlosc2dbz,
Most of the people like to earn more & more so they can spend their old age life with full comfort.
0 Replies

forextraordinaire

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 04:14 am
@carlosc2dbz,
so what do u sugest? Forex trading?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 1 Oct, 2013 09:14 pm
@carlosc2dbz,
That's right; the earlier one starts, the easier it is to keep on with the habit before retirement. Starting in the mid-forties or early fifties is too late to accumulate enough to live in the same standard as when working. Budgeting is the key.
0 Replies

ochomefunding

Wed 16 Oct, 2013 01:03 am
@carlosc2dbz,
Wonderfully put.. may be i have also noticed this however the way you have etched this is simply incredible!
0 Replies