INDIVIDUALS... WHOM YOU RESPECT

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 01:22 pm
Should the whom be who?....Oh well, I'm sure you will tell me.

The cluttered pieces of conflicting news items make it difficult to get to know persons of character, talent and leadership ability. I was hoping you would offer the names and backgrounds of some such individuals.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,456 • Replies: 26
No top replies

husker

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 02:04 pm
Colin Powell
Colin Powell

Articulate, liked by both Demos and Repubs.

"Avoid having your ego so close to your position that, when your position fails, your ego goes with it."
-Colin Powell

Highlights of Colin Powell
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 02:21 pm
Colin Powell is one of the persons I respect. I would be comfortable with him running for President.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 04:55 pm
Hi Mapleleaf

Respect? Hmmm, not any many people as I'd like .. Sad

Doris Lessing, the writer. Because of her integrity & serious attempts to make sense of the world, politics, the human condition ..
And maybe ex-Oz journalist, John Pilger. For his dogged determinatin & commitment in exposing world-wide injustice & "fighting the good fight" ... despite constant criticism & derision.

How's that for a start?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:12 pm
Colin is one, without him I would hate to see where we would be today.

I think Senator John McCain is right up there.

I also have a lot of respect for my wife - she is tops. Unfortunately ya'll don't know her!
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:30 pm
msolga, yes, a good beginning.

I could live with John McCain, although, I expect there would be a number of surprizes. I really don't visual new officials DOING WHAT I WANT, but I do look for integrity, trust and a commitment to the country (not to a few groups).
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:36 pm
And I would want kept promises that were made in the open not the ones made behind closed doors. Also Mapleleaf, integrity is in the light of the day, not - "you just have to trust me!"
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:49 pm
Hi Mapleleaf

Would love to comment on the choices of respected individuals, but it's darn near impossible to be properly informed on the other side of the planet. I steered clear of plotical debates on Abuzz for the very same reason. These are people I've read about in newsapapers & seen on television & I do know something of their achievements, political sentiments, reputations etc ... But really, only on a superficial level compared with you folk who live in the US.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:53 pm
olga, most of us folks here (in the country, not necessarily on this forum) probably know as little (or less) about them as you do.

i've always had a great deal of respect for jimmy carter. i doubt anyone i respected would ever make it past one term in that office...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 05:58 pm
patiodog, Jimmy Carter is my hero and has been even since I first saw him. They broke the political mold there. He is the best!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:01 pm
that setttles it then, Jimmy is the man
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:01 pm
Thank you. patiodog, in your dark, damp corner ... You made me feel better & less out of touch than I was feeling ..

I must say, I also greatly respect Jimmy Carter's efforts toward world peace, too. Gosh, he's still at it NOW! He must be genuine.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:20 pm
President Carter is held in great esteem. In addition, he has the independence to feel free to voice his opinion. Recently, he said that some Americans (government people included) operate from a point of arrogance. I love my country, but I have to agree with that point.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:25 pm
I'm sad to have to agree with you, Mapleleaf.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:26 pm
Maple, I'd always figured from your moniker that you were Canajun. Closer to Cajun, it turns out. (Oh, the arrogance of me to assume, eh?)
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 19 Dec, 2002 06:42 pm
Born in Springfield, Missouri. raised mainly in Indiana.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 08:01 am
Hi Mapleleaf. I'm with everybody on Jimmy Carter.

I have a lot of respect for Bill Moyers, and all the issues he brings into the open on his program "Now". He's always looking for, and documenting, the truth in all the areas he explores. I've been learning from him for years.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 08:14 am
President Carter gets my vote too and one of my freshman teachers, Judy DiStephano, Phd American History 1944-1988
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 01:41 pm
I have great respect for Nelson Mandela. Who among us would make the sacrifices he made for his beliefs?

Although I didn't agree with some of what he did during his terms as mayor, I have to say that with respect to 9/11 there's no one else I would have wanted to see running the city but Rudolf Giuliani. He was absolutely the right man at the right time. I will always be indebted to him. He has earned my undying respect.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 02:36 pm
Roberta, would you support him in a higher office?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » INDIVIDUALS... WHOM YOU RESPECT
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 10:58:56