Annoying TV Commercials

Seamus

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 09:49 pm
I can't believe that there isn't a "Madison Avenue" web site devoted to obtaining statistical data on the MOST ANNOYING TV ads. I'm aware that there is a school of thought that promotes the "people remember the annoying ads - and shop those companies" philosophy. However, there has to be someone who understands that "school" may not be current in it's philosophy.

Ad Case #1: Toys 'R Us "Easter/Peter Cottontail" Ad. It's a repeat of a campaign that has run previous years - and has become more annoying each year that it runs. This evening (Friday, Apr 2), I've had the misfortune of seeing (the "mute" button works too slowly) that ad at least 8 times on various networks during the past 4 hours. It isn't just "Geoffrey" who's pleading for that crap to "MAKE IT GO AWAY" already. After the repeated ads a few years ago, my friend and I agreed to NEVER shop Toys 'R Us again for her daughter's toy wishes - and we've convinced others to go elsewhere, too. THAT'S how annoying and bad it is.

Ad Case #2: Ads featuring ANYone eating, chewing food, etc., and especially children. They are gross - we don't allow our children to act like barbarians when we dine out, even it's just a MickeyDs, BK or Pizza Hut night out. Our parents taught us better - and we, annoyed, change channels when an ad features someone, especially kids, masticating and demonstrating their poor parental upbringing. Showing a little boy shoveling messy chicken wings into his pudgy mouth, and creating a kitchen mess in the process, is gross - and a poor example, on so many levels, especially to the many lower income folks who are influenced by TV media (I believe that the purveyor of that particular product, napkins or paper towels, are produced by Georgia-Pacific.)

Those are just a few (VERY few) examples.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,621 • Replies: 2
No top replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:53 pm
I hate the swiffer wet jet commercials, who speeds around there house cleaning like it's the funnest thing in the world to do. All the smiling and dancing, oooh and you can't forget the mucic.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 12:43 pm
I do not own nor do I wish to own a swiffer wet jet; however if I did want one because I thought that owning one would make my life better, I would nor hesitate to buy one because their add annoyed me. The same philosophy applies to all products and commercials.
0 Replies