Sellouts

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:30 pm
Latest musical artist/group to sell their tunes to Madison Ave. For example, The Ramones "Hey Ho Let's Go!"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 07:50 pm
Poor Ramones....ever since Joey died, it's been downhill. My nomination for biggest sellout would be The Who, and Coldplay, who once said: "Oh no, we would never sell our songs for a commercial." Then the singer married Gwyneth Paltrow and they are shilling out their tunes to sell Mitsubishis. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 08:18 pm
Artists starve. These bands are in the entertainment business, not art. Why not sell a song to promote something. Why should a song be limited to the radio or your cd collection? It is after all the music business.
0 Replies

jonny

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 03:23 am
I agree with Ceili. Plus, I think the real sell-outs are the ones that compromise their musical integrity to sell more records, like Metallica since the black album.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
Ceili wrote:
Artists starve. These bands are in the entertainment business, not art. Why not sell a song to promote something. Why should a song be limited to the radio or your cd collection? It is after all the music business.

But the point of Rock and Roll is to "stick it to the man", and if you are selling your songs to the man so he can sell his products you are disgracing Rock and Roll.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 09:50 am
I saw a most disturbing Victoria's Sectret ad last night featuring not only Bob Dylan's music, but the man himself. <shudder>
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 10:46 am
Quote:
But the point of Rock and Roll is to "stick it to the man", and if you are selling your songs to the man so he can sell his products you are disgracing Rock and Roll.

gotta strongly disagree with ya there.

i think we can all agree rock+roll is a form of entertainment.

Q: how does entertainment sell?
A: through advertising.

the band needs money; so does "the man" -- capitalism at its finest.

until the rock+roll artist starts giving free concerts, and stops charging for CD's and merchandise, they are in essence no different from "the man", except they're pushing a different type of product.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 12:43 pm
The true Rockers are the ones giving the free concerts and not making cds and videos for the man to shove down the public's throat. You were right about everything you said though.
0 Replies