Is The End to Door-Door Mail Delivery Near?

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 02:49 pm
http://money.cnn.com/2013/07/23/news/economy/postal-home-delivery/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,680 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:09 pm
@Miller,
Cluster box units have been around for many years now - I used to specify them.
I'm not a big fan, but can see their utility. By now (I haven't seen such catalogs in twenty years) there may be some well designed ones.
Our delivery in my new area is contracted out by the post office, or so I heard.
It's not horrible, that I know of.

I am sorry if individual delivery full stops, as I've been strong acquaintances with three outstanding mailpeople. One guy used to make fun of me, until we talked it out and got to be pals about this and that..
But also, people in a housing tract can have disabilities that make it hard for them to get to the group mail box.

When I had moved away for some years but was visiting back in LA again, I needed to mail a humongous book to an architect up north, and went to a former local post office. There was a scream as I was filling out forms, STOP THAT WOMAN! (This was after 2001, I'm near sure, but maybe not). She probably didn't remember my exact name, but knew me with a quick look.

It was my old post deliverer, we had a great catchup talk there by the counter. No, not a counter with a line.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:20 pm
Cluster boxes are in all apartment buildings.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 03:36 pm
@Miller,
And long have they been in apartment buildings, at least in my lifetime.
And housing tracts, which had their own kind of development, have tended to - but not always - have them.
Miller

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2013 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
Individual houses will be grouped into the "cluster" department.
Miller

Reply Sun 22 Sep, 2013 09:48 am
@Miller,
Price of stamps is probably going up again in the very near future.
Miller

Reply Tue 1 Oct, 2013 09:10 am
@Miller,
Yes, the rates are going up this jan 2014. Soon, the rate will be a flat $1 for a first class letter.
Miller

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 11:12 pm
@Miller,
It looks like the USPS might be saved, to a certain extent, by it's recent union with the UPS. UPS will make deliveries to the post office, which will then make deliveries to your home on Sundays, if need be.

So far I haven't seen any recent mail deliveries here in the Boston area, on Sundays.
0 Replies