Baseball - ROUNDERS?

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 08:29 pm
Baseball is very popular in yankland - In the UK it is called 'Rounders' and only girls and infants play it.

Should, due to its girlie/infantile nature, it be reclassified as a hobby, rather than a sport?

Setanta

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 08:43 pm
Bait thread, eh?
mark noble

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 08:47 pm
@Setanta,
Indeed fella.
Only needs your attendance, your name in the 'new posts' and all your twatish ilk will burrow in.
0 Replies

raprap

Wed 10 Jul, 2013 09:34 pm
@mark noble,
In yankland we call Cricket 'rounders' and only prissy little girls and sun addled limeys play it. Due to its girlie/addled nature it is classified as an affliction rather than a sport.

Yanks around here do like Rugby though---wanna scrum?

Rap
Lordyaswas

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 01:27 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Baseball is very popular in yankland - In the UK it is called 'Rounders' and only girls and infants play it.

Should, due to its girlie/infantile nature, it be reclassified as a hobby, rather than a sport?

Word of advice, mn, don't even think about baiting Americans unless you are a) making a valid, sensible point, and b) you are smart and have your wits about you.
It is obvious that you fail both tests, and should now go away and analyze just what made you start this infantile, backfiring thread in the first place.

From what I've seen of your postings, it would appear that you have, let's say, unusual views and opinions, which immediately act as a magnet for others to post and tell you where you are going wrong.
The worst thing you can then do is revert to badly thought through playground tactics.

If you were in America and a family invited you to join them to see a game at a top flight baseball ground, you would probably end up having a brilliant time.

Don't be such a silly arse in future, eh?

Setanta

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 02:53 am
In 1817, the first volume of Jane Austen's novel Northanger Abbey was published posthumously. She had sold the novel in 1803 for £10, but the publisher "sat on it." Her brother bought it back for £10 and she revised it in 1816. The original story, entitled Susan, was written by her in about 1798. From the final revision, here is the beginning of the third paragraph of the book:

Mrs. Morland was a very good woman, and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones, that her elder daughters were inevitably left to shift for themselves; and it was not very wonderful that Catherine, who had by nature nothing heroic about her, should prefer cricket, baseball, riding on horseback, and running about the country at the age of fourteen, to books . . . (emphasis added)

Apparently, according to the author of this thread, we should consider cricket just as effete and feminine as baseball.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 03:48 am
Just as a pure matter of interest, I think I'm right in saying that the first ever written reference to base ball was in 1755, in the South of England.

From William Bray's diary......

"After dinner, went to Miss Jeale's to play at Base Ball with her the three Miss Whiteheads, Miss Billinghurst, Miss Molly Flutter, Mr. Chandler, Mr. Ford and H. Parsons. Drank tea and stayed 'til eight."

www.bbc.co.uk/southtoday/content/articles/2008/09/09/baseball_feature.shtml
Lordyaswas

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 06:01 am
@Lordyaswas,
Oops, I stand corrected.

Walton on Thames, Surrey. 1749.

0 Replies

Setanta

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 06:15 am
Then Prince Frederick must have been feminine and infantile, huh?
Lordyaswas

Thu 11 Jul, 2013 06:27 am
@Setanta,
I'm not sure, but I heard his boyfriend was.
0 Replies

mark noble

Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:55 am
@raprap,
Agreed... Cricket is crap.
Rugby is too. Give credit though, at least they don't 'pad-up' like your 'football' cissies.
0 Replies

mark noble

Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
Ok, thanks:)
0 Replies

mark noble

Fri 12 Jul, 2013 11:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
Not interesting at all.
Get a life 'attention-seeker'.
0 Replies