Does "his acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables" mean...?

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 09:09 pm

Does "his acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables" mean "his acceptance of the concept of the Shudras and other untouchables"?

Context:

HISTORIC EVIDENCE OF JESUS IN INDIA

Most accounts of Jesus in India derive from a book titled The Unknown Life of Jesus Christ, written by Nicholas Notovitch, a Russian doctor who claimed to visit the monastery of Himmis near Leh, Ladakh (Kashmir) in 1888. (10) Notovitch said that, in visiting the monastery, he reviewed written verses that described the presence there of Jesus known as "Issa." Other passages elaborate on Jesus' travels in India, his teachings, his acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables, and his conflicts with the Brahmans and the Zoroastrian priests of Persia. Jesus supposedly arrived in India at the age of fourteen and returned to Judea at the age of twenty-nine. (11)

More:
http://www.thezensite.com/non_Zen/Was_Jesus_Buddhist.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 178 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 11:44 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Does "his acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables" mean "his acceptance of the concept of the Shudras and other untouchables"?

It means "acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables".
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 03:19 am
What, Contex? You've just simply repeated my question?
I've still got no clue what it means.
roger

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 03:31 am
@oristarA,
No, he said acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables. Not acceptance of the concept. Big difference.
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 06:00 am
The piece is about a book which alleged that Jesus travelled to India. It says that among other things, that book describes his acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables. These people were low in the Hindu caste system. As the word 'untouchable' indicates, higher caste Hindus would not speak to or acknowledge them. Jesus' acceptance of them, I imagine, would have consisted of treating them as normal human beings. Acceptance is the opposite of rejection. Many people assert that there is no historical evidence that Jesus existed, much less that he went to India.

0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 08:41 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

No, he said acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables. Not acceptance of the concept. Big difference.

Well, I meant he smply repeated the context itself, which does not help understanding.
contrex

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 09:16 am
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

Well, I meant he smply repeated the context itself, which does not help understanding.

I repeated it to underline that there is no ambiguity or difficulty about this: "his acceptance of the Shudras". Why would anyone suppose it meant his acceptance of the concept of the Shudras? It means what it says. His acceptance. Of the Shudras. That's it.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Does "his acceptance of the Shudras and other untouchables" mean...?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 07:30:41