Can't use links--no video or sound.

Diane

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:03 pm
Whenever I click on a link, I either get a black screen or a white screen with no video or sound.

I have a pc, Windows 7.

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:15 pm
@Diane,
I'm not a computer wiz but are you using IE or Firefox?

Reason I ask is I had the same problem when using Firefox but not when I use IE.
Diane

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:20 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Jeffrey, I recently switched to Firefox which I like much better than IE, but I'll go back to IE if I can't find another solution.

Many thanks for your help.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:28 pm
@Diane,
That's what I had to do, switch back to IE, for the life of me I couldn't get firefox to work.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:34 pm
Out of idle curiosity (and apologies to Diane for hijacking the thread) but can someone explain to me what's so great about firefox? I've always used IE and have had no serious probs but I hear of people switching to firefox all the time? Why? Inquiring minds need to know.
Butrflynet

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:43 pm
@Diane,
Diane,

I'll drop by your house tomorrow and see if I can solve the problem for you.

Just let me know when would be a good time.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I also have always used IE, then a friend suggested I download Firefox, said it was so much better. I was so irritated with it I deleted it off my computer. I could never get it to work properly.
Diane

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was always having trouble with IE. Switching to Firefox was suggested and it has been much better, not as many little glitches that I used to have. It is embarrassing to still be such a luddite, but there it is, so I have to rely on others to figure out what is going wrong.

0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:51 pm
@Butrflynet,
Around two would be fine. I'll call you tomorrow. Thanks!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 04:58 pm
@Diane,
Good luck and tell us the resolution, eh?

(still with Safari on the old clunker)
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 05:39 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
JeffreyEqualityNewma wrote:

I also have always used IE, then a friend suggested I download Firefox, said it was so much better. I was so irritated with it I deleted it off my computer. I could never get it to work properly.

OK, but "better" in what way? I've had a minimum of any serious glitches w/IE is why I ask.
Debacle

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2013 10:37 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
OK, but "better" in what way? I've had a minimum of any serious glitches w/IE is why I ask.

You've had a minimum of glitches with IE, Andy, because it is integral to the Windows OS. That was what all the fuss was over (MS forcing their browser on the vast majority of computer users worldwide) between Microsoft and the other software outfits, Sun Microsystems, et al, who brought suit against Bill Gates, et al, in federal court on anti-trust charges.

Many folks don't care for IE because of so many crashes on Windows machines; the reason for the crashes being due to Microsoft's writing one-size-fits-all software for many different hardware manufacturers. As a result, the Windows OS is easily hacked because the code must be loose enough to fit a variety of machine systems. That's why they're still coming out with security patches for WinXP after all this time.

At one time or another I've tried most all the well-known browsers (except for osso's Safari on which she continues to survive in the Serengeti thanks to Steve Jobs having both built her computer AND written the OS for it, which is why Apple products have relatively few problems) and all of the browsers at one and the same time, when I was writing HTML code and wanted to test my webpages on a variety of browsers; Netscape, Oracle, Firefox, etc., as well as on IE. I found it difficult to get any other browser to work efficiently with IE resident on the PC, and there was, and still is, no way to eliminate IE without taking a hammer to the hard drive. Eventually I found that all the webpages I created would load faster and had a better presentation on IE. Q.E.D.

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 11:17 am
@Debacle,
Thanks for that. Pretty much what I was going to say.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 04:31 pm
Switching back to IE was successful. Now I can play audio and visual without any problems.

This is somewhat disappointing because of all the trouble I've had with IE, but my particular problem didn't seem to be fixable without it.

Many thanks to everyone for all your help.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 23 Jun, 2013 05:03 pm
@Diane,
My guess is that your Firefox add-ons need updating. That's the first thing I would have checked, especially since you fixed it by switching back to IE.
0 Replies