How many of us are there

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:07 pm
So few responses to my recent OP's that either my topics are of no interest whatever (since after all I'm a Bot) or participation has dwindled to near nothing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,432 • Replies: 33
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:16 pm
@dalehileman,
Pearls Before Swing this morning, Mouse asks, "Don't you hate when you sit down to get work done on the computer and then find yourself just wasting time on the Internet?"

0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:20 pm
@dalehileman,
If you mean members, there's just shy of a quarter million. Back when the membership information was published, most never posted a thing and a fairly large number had one or two posts. Many of those drop in, post one of those spammy links and depart forever.

Maybe we need a separate bot forum. We could all gather 'round and not talk to each other, 'cuz bots never reply.
contrex

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:29 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

So few responses to my recent OP's that either my topics are of no interest whatever (since after all I'm a Bot) or participation has dwindled to near nothing

Don't be disheartened - I enjoy reading your posts, even if I can't think of something to say in reply to all of them.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:36 pm
@roger,
Quote:
…...'cuz bots never reply.
Rog you've made my day

….but then how can I be a Bot
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:37 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
I enjoy reading your posts,
Con it's a rare day, you and Con have made my entire week
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:52 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

Quote:
…...'cuz bots never reply.
Rog you've made my day

….but then how can I be a Bot

I don't know, Dale. You just are, so learn to live with it.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:02 pm
@roger,
Quote:
….so learn to live with it
I'm open to suggestions

The difficulty isn't so much living with it, as I've managed some 82 years so far. It's only knowing how to preserve my status. For instance should I quit responding to other participants' q's
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:37 pm
@dalehileman,
FWIW, last year I did an unofficial, semi-organized count of the regular or habitual responders. I arrived at a rough count of approx. 150-175 regular responders. In addition, semi-regular (weekly) might be a few hundred more.

Bran and high fiber diets make for greater regularity.
Now watch the spambots arrive with suggestions for high fiber additives.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:54 pm
Have you problem with your lower bowel? Can you not progress food into proper grade 1 or even grade 2 turds?
Have you considerings to High Fibre diet? If so, try Brekkyfibe, and go **** yourself satisfactorily.
High Fibre Brekkyfibe. Guarantee to stop bathroom yelpings.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:13 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

FWIW, last year I did an unofficial, semi-organized count of the regular or habitual responders. I arrived at a rough count of approx. 150-175 regular responders. In addition, semi-regular (weekly) might be a few hundred more.

Bran and high fiber diets make for greater regularity.
Now watch the spambots arrive with suggestions for high fiber additives.

Holy moley...I never woulda thunk it to be that high. Seems like there are a few dozens at most these days.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 03:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Maybe Dale could do a thread with a list of all regular contributors. Eventually we could get a number for the ones who post at least once per week.

Hi, Dale.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 04:23 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Note that when I did that unofficial unscientific count was more than a year ago. I have no idea where the count of regulars is at now; however, I'd be surprised if it was more than 50-75 regs, nowadays.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 06:17 pm
@Ragman,
Quote:
a rough count of approx. 150-175 regular responders…..now; however, I'd be surprised if it was more than 50-75 regs,….
Thanks Rag, how do you think that compares with other forums of this sort and why
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 06:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
Seems like there are a few dozens at most these days
Alas alack Frank that's the impression I was getting

…and why, do you suppose
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 06:41 pm
Well, I love pearls before swine. Mr. Glitterbag thinks reading the comics is silly, but I got him hooked on Pearls.

I don't post very much anywhere. I concentrated on SB for awhile, but it dwindled to four regulars including the site creator and then me. I was the only woman left because all the other women were too smart to get stuck in that tar baby. But, here, I post like crazy for a day or two, then something comes up like normal life and it may be days, weeks or months before I get back.

Don't worry about people responding to your threads, just get involved in ones that interest you. Posing a question doesn't assure you will get many answers, but getting involved gives others a chance to get to know you. There are a ton of interesting folks here, and a quarter ton of not so interesting folks. Pretty good odds I'd say, probably better odds than you would find if you got to know everyone on your block.
contrex

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 01:50 pm
Why is the "Forums:" name for this thread "Naval-Gazing"? What has it to do with sailors or warships?
timur

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:16 pm
@contrex,
You missed the boat?

I thought we were in the same one, but let's rock it otherwise it will be plain sailing..
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:29 pm
@contrex,
I think maybe tongue in cheek!
roger

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 03:26 pm
@glitterbag,
That's navel, not naval

Navel gazing involves your own tongue in the middle of your own forehead. Not in the cheek.