Re-Gifting

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 01:12 pm
Have you ever re-gifted? Is it ever appropriate to re-gift? I received a re-gift for my wedding. In the box of the gift was a card that said congratulations to Bob and Sue. We were not Bob and Sue. Bob and Sue were who gave us the gift. By the way Bob and Sue are well off financially. Advice for any re-gifters - at least remove any tags!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 750 • Replies: 15
No top replies

mac11

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 01:14 pm
I have been re-gifted. Makes you feel a bit like a recycle bin doesn't it?
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 01:25 pm
i did a thread on this same thing christmastime. i think when you mail your thank you cards, you should enclose that tag as well. that way you'll have said what needs to be said, withouth 'saying' anything. They'll most surely recognize that tag.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 02:03 pm
I thought of that, but my husband would not allow me to. Instead, I went the other way and said something along the lines of thank for the very very thoughtful gift. It shows that you were really thinking of us. Put it on a bit thick.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 07:35 pm
The best way to regift is to do it as a joke. I had a freind who got married not long after I had. My wife and I wrapped up four extra electric hand mixers we had recieved, and gave him that. I'm sure he figured out it was a joke... his wife just thought it was weird though.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2004 09:01 pm
I have never done it, but I don't see anything wrong with it. What if a person gets a gift that he already has, or doesn't need? Why not give it to someone who will appreciate it?

The only exception would be a gift that a person didn't want because it was tacky, or undesirable for some other reason. I don't think that it is right to pass off your junk to someone else!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:13 am
Under certain circumstances I see nothing wrong with it Phoenix. For example, I received a gift once that just was not my style, but it seemed liked something my mom would like. I gave it to her, but not as a birthday present, but just as an every day gift and even explained I received it, but could not use it and thought she might. Giving a re-gift and trying to pass it on as a gift you picked out and paid for yourself is a bit tacky. In my opinion, a gift need not be expensive, but thoughtful. Re-gifting is not thoughtful, it is giving junk you do not want. It is one thing if the item is something you think another receiver would truly want.

The gift I received was obviously just like you stated Phoenix, something they received that they did not want. It was a basic vase, not tacky or anything, but considering this couple lived across the country from us, there would be no reason for them to know or think we would want a vase and this vase would fit in with our style. They had just had a wedding about 9 months before ours, so it wasn't gee I think Mr. and Mrs. Linkat would love this vase. It was like gee what do we have from our pile gifts that we don't want. At any hoot it does make for an amusing story.

Anyone who has had a wedding and has registered for gifts, can return their gift to the store they registered at for a merchandise credit. Also, I suggest when you buy a gift to always get a gift receipt, that way if they do get a duplicate gift, you can always return it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 08:25 am
Let me put it another way. I would only give a person a gift that I already had, if the gift were something that I might have chosen for that person, had I not had it already.

I would not pass on something, just because I had it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 09:12 am
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15738&highlight=regifting
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:06 am
Linkat wrote:
. It was a basic vase, not tacky or anything, but considering this couple lived across the country from us, there would be no reason for them to know or think we would want a vase and this vase would fit in with our style.

If they know this little about you, why would they be close enough to send you any kind of gift?
0 Replies

K e v i n

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:15 am
my mom is always trying to make me regift stuff to my friends on their birthdays.

"here, give him this. Its not that ripped, and you barely ever wear it"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:18 am
hehehehe

now that's the spirit!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 11:20 am
They are family that lives across the country from us. They have never been to our home before. We have visited them, but they have never been to visit us.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:47 pm
regifting is good...anyone who cannot take a gift regardless must have the grace to accept it, then when they get home smash it to bits with a sledge hammer if you truely find it offensive. this is a joke....
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:48 pm
whats clam bate ?
well
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Wed 31 Mar, 2004 07:57 pm
I've re-gifted once. It was to my cheap ass brother. I can't remember the last time I got a birthday gift from him so I didn't feel too guilty. And when he receives gifts he doesn't like, he gives it back to the person who gave it to him saying it's not something he's going to use. That's exactly what happened with the re-gift. I thought for sure it was something he would use, but Mr. Picky didn't want it. So it sits now, collecting dust.

I am almost positive I was the recipient of a re-gift once. It was from someone who couldn't afford much if anything at all, so I felt touched to have been given anything from her even if it was a re-gift.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Re-Gifting
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 03:44:22