Book of the Month Club

dupre

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:55 pm
My dad was a member of a book of the month club while I was growing up. The list included books paralleling the news of the day. I thought it was TimeLife, and I've checked the NYT, too. Does anyone know what club I'm talking about? Or can you recommend a choice of excellent book of the month clubs?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,071 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 08:58 pm
I was a member of the club many years ago. Here is a link:

Link to Book of the Month Club
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:25 pm
Phoenix: Thank you. They've got some great titles under nonfiction and science and nature. Thanks so much for the link. I appreciate it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:28 pm
You are very welcome! Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Dec, 2002 09:47 pm
I am a member of the Book of the Month Club. I use it more to replenish titles I have lost over the years, such as ULYSSES, some Faulkner and Stienbeck tales and ZEN FLESH, ZEN BONES. The last new title I bought from them was FROM THE DUST RETURNED, by Ray Bradbury. I was very disappointed in it.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:51 am
Is there only one Book of the Month Club? Whenever I put that into a search engine, I get a lot of hits, although I have to say, I like the link provided here and will probably go with that. Most of my books are from Half Price Books. I'd really like to get with the program and read newer titles from current events and science. I'm interested in Stephen Gould and has anyone tried Kraus's new work where he personifies an atom and takes his reader on an atom's view of life from the beginning to . . . his imagined end (I suppose)? Besides Hawking, can you recommed any other leading science writers, especially the social scientists? Which historians are the best. Thanks for your guidance, I do appreciate it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 18 Dec, 2002 08:57 am
dupre- There is only one "Book of the Month Club". That is a proprietory name. There ARE other types of book clubs. Here is a site that will link you through to a host of other clubs:

Link to Book Club Directory

This looks like it has possibilities too:
Another Book Club link
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 03:47 am
Wow! Thanks again for the links.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 03:40 pm
Phoenix and Edgarblythe: Were you charged unreasonable shipping and handling rates if you didn't order their "pick"?

Blah! I devoured the entire contents of the Book of the Month Club's questions and answers to determine their shipping rates. Seems that if you order their "pick" it's reasonable, but if not, then the rates are determined on AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS. I had to e-mail customer service to find out. Here's their response:

"For regular orders, the shipping and handling for the first item is
$4.49 and each additional item is $1.99. Shipping and handling charges
for merchandise items are determined on an individual basis."

I didn't see any "merchandise" other than books, so . . . what do YOU think this means?

Besides, amazon.com's prices are better and a lot of the books are now shipped free of charge with their new shipping deal.

Your thoughts?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 03:44 pm
edgarblythe: I saw you lost your pet on a recent thread. Somehow I missed it. Maybe we posted at the same time. . . . My sincerest condolences on your loss. Your pet was surely a treasured friend.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 03:58 pm
dupre- I don't even want to think about how long it was since I belonged to the Book of the Month Club. Nowadays, you probably get a better deal with Amazon, or Barnes & Noble!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 05:39 pm
Thanks for your kind remarks about my dog, dupre. Only another dog lover could understand why I'm still mourning her.

The book of the month club offers videos and other non book items.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 06:13 pm
Seems to me that the Book of the Month Club made sense when people didn't have easy access to book stores. Well, I'm sure there are still people who have this problem, but with the internet, our options are wide. Everyone knows about Amazon and Barnes and Ignoble, but here's one for independent book dealers and includes quality used books. You can also order books from the UK that haven't been published in the US!

www.abebooks.com

(I don't sell books, so I'm not shilling for my own selfish interests here!)
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:11 pm
D'artagnan, thank you so much! I will check them out.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 07:14 pm
edgarblythe, I feel your pain. My own dog was a stray and he is very old. Our time together will be brief and I mourn that future loss even now, but I'm comforted to know that now that I work from home, we have so many hours together. Maybe as much as if I had to leave for forty hours per week, so I guess it all evens out. He definitely came with manners and with his own personality. I really like him, in fact, he's my favorite pet of all time. What a sweetie. I'm so sorry yours is no longer here with you, but I know he or she lives on in your heart, bringing smiles and wagging memories.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 20 Dec, 2002 09:30 pm
On the subject of used books, I once searched Amazon for a book that was out of print. They directed me to several used copies from associated used book sellers.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Dec, 2002 05:07 pm
I'm a member of Book of the Month club, but I rarely order. I do keep their featured selections in mind when I'm making up my library list.

I'm also a member--and purchaser--for the Science Fiction Book Club:

www.sfbc.com

Their S&H rates have gone way up, but they do offer titles a year before the books are reprinted in paperback.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 11:43 am
Thanks, Noddy24. My son is a big SciFic enthusiast. I appreciate the link!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 11:53 am
Dupre--

Thanks for the kind words. Science fiction and fantasy titles frequently have only one printing and then are not available through the usual channels.

Try http://www.pandora.ca/ for second hand books (mostly paperbacks) in all genres--including horror and mystery. You won't find many bargains, but all the books are mint or near mint condition.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 22 Dec, 2002 12:09 pm
Thanks. I'm really developing a taste for horror these days. I love stories that are over the top.
0 Replies