The most influential people who NEVER lived

maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 06:13 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't understand why you guys are even arguing the question. There may or may not have been a guy wandering around the wilderness with a collection of fishermen and down and out followers. And he may or may not have been crucified.

The Bible stories have him being born from a virgin, raising a friend from the dead, talking to weather and walking on the water.

If you separate the Biblical Jesus, from the purported guy in the desert, then this disagreement becomes moot.

There may have been a historical guy named Merlin, or even a historical guy named Achilles too.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 06:19 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

By the way, if Professor Feldman is correct (he also says there is no reliable historical evidence for Jesus), then Jesus could reasonably be said to be the most influential person who NEVER lived.

word

he is certainly becoming very influential on this thread Cool
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 06:43 am
@FBM,
Eve

A fictional person who cursed us all with original sin....
maxdancona

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 06:45 am
@DrewDad,
Cursed?

I like my original sin.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 07:30 am
@DrewDad,
Nice one. Wink I think you won the internets there.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
I'm not and won't.
George

Reply Tue 28 May, 2013 08:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Same here.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 06:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
In terms of my life:

Gandalf
Lucifer (Of Paradise Lost)
Atticus Finch
Conan the Barbarian
Judge Holden
Roy Rodgers

Roy Rodgers wasn't fictional. He actually existed. Wink
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:19 pm
@firefly,
Not the Roy Rodgers on TV every Saturday.
firefly

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
There was more than one Roy Rodgers?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 07:52 pm
It's obvious there was the real Roy Rogers and the film persona. The real man didn't jump on his horse and chase down outlaws.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
The real Roy Rodgers married Dale Evans. My hero, Roy Rodgers, never would have.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for spelling his name correctly, at least, edgar.

Roy Rogers was born Leonard Slye somewhere in Iowa (this is all off the top of my head; you can look up exact dates and locations in Wikipedia, of course, if you wish.) For most of his adult life he was married to Dale Evans (probably also not her real name), his co-star in most of the Western movies he made. They had a child together who had Downes Syndrome (at the time a child so afflicated was called 'Mongoloid', an ethnically un-PC diagnosis, now totally out of use).

I didn't want to call Finn out on this but I snickered when he listed Roy as a fictional person.

If memory serves, Rogers started out as a country and western musician, a founder of the Sons of the Pioneers, but he had what Hollywood thought was a good on-screen presence and made him a Western star . He was popularly known as 'The King of the Cowboys.' I don't think anybody over the age of, say, six or seven ever thought of him as anything but an actor. (He had a reputation, though, for being a fine horseman and a very good shot with a pistol. But that could have been just press agentry.)
firefly

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The real man didn't jump on his horse and chase down outlaws.

Next you'll probably tell me that Trigger couldn't really count or do the hula. Crying or Very sad
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:08 pm
@firefly,
Trigger is presently stuffed. I am not sure where he was placed after Roy died. I think they stuffed Pat Butram's Jeep, Nellie Belle, too. But that could be just a rumor.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:09 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Snicker away Merry.

Did you really imagine that I didn't realize that Roy was a real person.

Pedantic much?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:10 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
The real man didn't jump on his horse and chase down outlaws.

Next you'll probably tell me that Trigger couldn't really count or do the hula. Crying or Very sad

Roy was so fond of Trigger that when the palomino died, he had a taxidermist stuff him and Trigger remained a central showpiece at the Rogers ranch in the Hollywood hills.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:11 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Yeah, pedantic a lot when it comes to commenting on ignorant posts. I didn't call you on it. I just snickered.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Thank you ed.

We can hardly be considered bosom buddies, but I do appreciate that you are trying to stay with the thrust of this thread and not choosing a cheap opportunity to stick it to someone with whom you often disagree.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 08:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Please follow Trigger's ultimate condition Merry.