Religion, Politics, and Conflict

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 01:00 pm
Is religion combined with politics more likely to lead to violent conflict than religion alone or politics alone? Can religion and politics coexist peacefully in a state of mutual respect?

There is a long history of worldviews that combine religion with politics. It is a complex issue and should not be generalized. I am sorry if my topic itself appears to generalize this issue.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,386 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:06 pm
@wandeljw,
Well, it would seem that the most obvious examples of the coexistence of religion and politics would theocracies and the least violent society I know of (actually I'm ignorant of its history) is theocratic (Bhuddist) Tibet.
wandeljw

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 03:27 pm
@JLNobody,
Thanks for your response, JLN. Actually, I had meant to say coexist separately. Your example of Buddhist Tibet, however, is very interesting. I had not thought of religions that emphasize total peace. Is Buddhist Tibet an exception to most theocracies?
JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 04:58 pm
@wandeljw,
I don't know. Maybe Setanta can help us out there.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 06:24 pm
@wandeljw,
How many times in the last century has the US invaded another country?

In the history of religion - how many times have they gone on a religious conversion crusade?

And in the history of politics?

In starting wars, what have the warmongers used to justify the war? And what have they used to silence the opposition?

What drives conflict?

(by the way - my answer to the original questions is both yes, and no.)
wandeljw

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 07:07 pm
@vikorr,
Good point, vikorr. Politicians justify going to war for many reasons other than religion.
JLNobody

Reply Fri 24 May, 2013 08:45 pm
@wandeljw,
Profit in some form or another is most likely the reason.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 02:12 pm
Peaceful coexistence is achieved when governments provide equal rights to all religious groups and when religious groups respect religious and cultural pluralism.
neologist

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 02:25 pm
I have been contemplating a thread entitled "Is patriotism a religion?"
There are similarities: reverence for objects, scripted ceremonies such as the flag salute, etc.

But it should be obvious after several thousand years, that whenever politicians find a need to declare war, they can count on the priests to deliver cannon fodder.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 02:43 pm
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
Is religion combined with politics more likely to lead to violent conflict than religion alone or politics alone?

Religion in its pure form is relatively rare. More often than not religion is always conjoined with its own form of politics (for managing its followers).

Religion itself is probably benign. It's only the combined form or religio-political dogma which inevitably results in violence.

It's hard to see how further combining the politics of religion with the politics of government could possibly decrease the potential for bad behavior.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 25 May, 2013 04:30 pm
@neologist,
Neo, unfortuately history affirms your view.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 26 May, 2013 11:12 pm
@wandeljw,
Quote:
Peaceful coexistence is achieved when governments provide equal rights to all religious groups and when religious groups respect religious and cultural pluralism.
I would point out that this runs contrary to human history (and the human nature that drives human history).

We (the generalised 'we') :
- are uncomfortable with people who are too different
- rarely want to take time to understand someone who is too different
- are easily misled into demonising people from cultures we are ignorant of
- are usually too lazy to do research (which relates to something that makes us us uncomfortable), and so easy to frighten should someone make up stories
..and combined - it's not hard to incite people to war when you orchastrate it properly (the pre-Iraq war campaign being a perfect example)

In fact, 'demonising the enemy' is one of the hallmarks of prewar propoganda, and as history shows, and incredibly successful tool. In similar vein, Machiavelli's advice regarding playing on peoples fears works as well in politics as it does in preparation for war.

But back to the original - it falls over on the 'how we react to other people who cause us discomfort' issue...and how easily that is manipulated (re the general populace)
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 29 May, 2013 02:58 pm
@vikorr,
The religious tolerance within the mongol empire of Genghis Khan would suggest otherwise.
0 Replies