Why do certain people choose to study proctology, urology or pathology?

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:41 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Not at all it's just you. Next time you get sick try to think about it. Are you over 12 years old? If you are you may have a cognitive delay issue.

Are you seriously addressing this to me, or did you mean to say this to the OP?

I was being sarcastic.

I've worked at nursing homes, a hospice, home health agencies and for a national dialysis company in an administrative capacity 90% of my career. I have a friend who's an ER doctor, my husband has a cardiologist, an electrocardiologist, a pulmonologist, and as of last week, a cardio vascular surgeon on his team. For a time I was making a lot of visists to a gastroenterologist and endoncrinologist (2 delightfully messy practices).

Since you're coming around here posting Germlat, I think it's time to start learning about the regular posters here before shooting of your mouth. Check out my thread about the open heart surgery my husband had right before thanksgiving.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:50 pm
I am a latently perverted freak. I have no interest in being a gynecologist.

I don't like mixing business and pleasure.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 06:51 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Historically midwives helped women deliver babies.. And then in the Middle Ages they were accused of witchcraft and the practice changed over.

Wrong again.

While some midwives have been accused of witchcraft (as have been people of any profession), the shift from using midwives occured much later. Physicians tradtionally did not involve themselves in the birthing process, as that was considered the womens realm.

Then, in the 19th or 20th century, basically physicians discovered there was money to be made from rich women delivering their babies. The rich women gained status having a real doctor deliver their child, and the physicians saw their pockets filled. This trickled down to the lower classes, coming to the point that having a midwife started to look dangerous to most people.

Thank goodness that has changed again, and midwifery is again looked upon with respect.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 07:04 pm
@chai2,
I responded to this earlier. I think our new poster is smart and on point on a lot of stuff, but, about equally, foolish - but she had declared she doesn't need to know who we are. I sort of get that, but that is too bad. If she knew, she wouldn't make funny sentences..

But in the meantime, she's flubbed up all over the place while being instructive rather perjoratively, as if we all a lagoon of small fish.
Germlat

Reply Fri 13 Dec, 2013 09:54 pm
@spendius,
Have not read that particular book but have a strong opinion on the subject. There are many ethical questions..at the end of the day it's a good thing to have an option. For instance, should some medical interventions take place if someone is older than the average life expectancy limit? In some places it comes down to appropriation of funds and bureaucratic policy. Does our current medical system squander funds? Definitely . Do I prefer the socialized medicine model --not in this life.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 10:12 am
@chai2,
In the beginning of the 14th c. Midwives were targeted of witchcraft due to their knowledge of early medicine. Herbal concoctions where viewed as "magic potions" and predicting a birth date as divination . Of course women in general were the most targeted. The sources of healing methods employed were seen by the people of the church as witchcraft( Ehrenreich and English, 1973). Then the practice changed over to one viewed with suspicion. Hope this clears it up for you.
Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 10:21 am
@ossobuco,
Others also the topic of discussion as if it were not meant in irony or humor. Examples: Farmerman, Engineer, Tsartespan and Jespah...maybe they didn't read her profile either. By the way when you speak negatively about a person to someone else without addressing the person you are aggressing directly it is called gossiping .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 10:27 am
@Germlat,
The Church's official definition of a witch is to be found in the Malleus Maleficarum.

It made sense in the conditions at the time.

It doesn't make sense to me that it was to do with restrictions on healing powers.
Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 10:34 am
@spendius,
Right on target as far as the Malleus Maleficarium...like I said magic was viewed as a heretic power. Herbal remedies and concoctions as magic potions, and guessing the date of delivery as divination.
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 11:12 am
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

In the beginning of the 14th c. Midwives were targeted of witchcraft due to their knowledge of early medicine. Herbal concoctions where viewed as "magic potions" and predicting a birth date as divination . Of course women in general were the most targeted. The sources of healing methods employed were seen by the people of the church as witchcraft( Ehrenreich and English, 1973). Then the practice changed over to one viewed with suspicion. Hope this clears it up for you.

I never denied women who were midwives were accused of witchcraft.

I said midwifery became less used when doctors took over the practice of birthing babies. Physicians discovered upper class women were willing to pay them to do something that until that time wasn't worth the physicians time. During the time of this switchover, doctors managed to convince their pregnant females patients that their pregnancy was some kind of medical problem, not simply giving birth to their child. By placing this notion, and the attending fear in the womans head, leading them to believe they needed a doctor to bring a baby into the world was the result.

Doctors did not begin delivering babies in the middle ages. Prior to the 18th century the domain of birth was pretty much exclusively in the hands of women, whether midwives, female friends or female family members.

Regardless of the fact that midwives were sometimes accussed of witchcraft, they still were the overwhelmingly the people who brought babies into the world until the 18th century....well past the middle ages.

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 11:38 am
@chai2,
This is similar to the way women were convinced they need to feed their babies formula instead of breast feeding, and that babies, when starting to eat, needed to get their nourishment from jars instead of the way mothers had introduced their babies to solid food since humans existed.

Who knew that for 10's of thousands of years mothers were doing it all wrong....breastfeeding and mashing up food rather than spending money on something devised to imitate their own breast milk, and needed someone to squirt vitamins into mashed up turnips and peas to ensure their baby won't drop dead.

It seems you can convince people of anything if you tell them they have to pay for it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 11:41 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

You seem a tad low on your irony level.

Can you buy OTC supplements for that?
Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:01 pm
@chai2,
Who's arguing
Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:04 pm
@JPB,
Again , people don't necessarily read your profile..others also answered seriously..Farmerman, Engineer, Tasrtespan, Jespah, Germlat.. Hint
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:05 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

ossobuco wrote:

You seem a tad low on your irony level.

Can you buy OTC supplements for that?

0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:06 pm
@chai2,
Actually you said women.. As in any other profession
spendius

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:13 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
During the time of this switchover, doctors managed to convince During the time of this switchover, doctors managed to convince their pregnant females patients that their pregnancy was some kind of medical problem, not simply giving birth to their child. By placing this notion, and the attending fear in the womans head, leading them to believe they needed a doctor to bring a baby into the world was the result., not simply giving birth to their child. By placing this notion, and the attending fear in the womans head, leading them to believe they needed a doctor to bring a baby into the world was the result.

There are some who think that doctors convincing their pregnant female patients that their pregnancy is some kind of medical problem, and insinuating into their heads attendant fears, gives rise to more difficult births and thus requires more expert assistance.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:13 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Who's arguing

Where did I use the word argue?

You stated:

"Historically midwives helped women deliver babies.. And then in the Middle Ages they were accused of witchcraft and the practice changed over."

and that is not true.

Also, to avoid having to make another post....Germlat....please lighten up....There are lot's of people here I know very well, some of which I've met in person, or had private talks, or have come to know them based on reading them online, and remember who they are....and have never read their profiles, or even know if they have one written.

Don't get hung up on profiles, if someone has one or not, or what it may say in them.

We are multifaceted, real human beings. The way to get to know whether someone is joking, being serious, being ironic, arguing, etc. is to take some time and learn about personalities beyond what some profile may say.

Life's short, have fun.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:14 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:

Actually you said women.. As in any other profession

and so what is your point here?
spendius

Reply Sat 14 Dec, 2013 12:17 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
During the time of this switchover, doctors managed to convince their pregnant females patients that their pregnancy was some kind of medical problem, not simply giving birth to their child. By placing this notion, and the attending fear in the womans head, leading them to believe they needed a doctor to bring a baby into the world was the result.

There are some who think that doctors convincing their pregnant female patients that their pregnancy is some kind of medical problem, and insinuating into their heads attendant fears, gives rise to more difficult births and thus requires more expert assistance.