S&P 500 Historic Data

yeahman

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 07:25 pm
The S&P site gives me quotes going back to 1988. I can order more from the site but I wanted to see if they're available for free somewhere. I'm looking for quotes going back as far as possible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,754 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 08:05 pm
http://www.bigcharts.com allows you to search back as far as 1970 I believe. They go back farther than any other free on-line site I've found so far.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Mar, 2004 05:32 pm
Yahoo! Finance tracks the DOW back to 1928, and most individual stocks back to at least 1960, depending on how long the particular issue has been around. Things like name or symbol changes, mergers/acquisitions, and the like can muddy things a bit, but if you know what you're looking for, you can probably track it down. Its free, but I think you have to register to use it. I find it pretty handy. Yahoo has a very nice real-time market tracker you can populate with your own portfolios (and you can switch back-and-forth-among them), or with any stocks you select, and you can watch what's going on as the day unfolds, if you've got the stomach for it Mr. Green Upticks show in green, downticks in red, and it can be configured to show daily and YTD earnings standings, totasl portfolio value, most-actives, biggest gainers and losers, and lots of other things. That's a subscription/fee deal, but its cheap. It also lets you do various comparisons and lookups, as well as independently track another issue or index in a separate window. You'll need Java to use any of it. It runs all day on one of my machines; its kinda neat to actually see your own trades execute, and handy as hell to let you know when it would be a good idea to enter a trade on a given issue.
0 Replies

carport

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2004 05:10 pm
Re: S&P 500 Historic Data
ye110man wrote:
The S&P site gives me quotes going back to 1988. I can order more from the site but I wanted to see if they're available for free somewhere. I'm looking for quotes going back as far as possible.
0 Replies