Would God have the Right to Rule the Earth?

Setanta

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 12:17 pm
@Smileyrius,
I had no doubt that you had an "earth-centric," Christianity-centric point of view coming into this, so you didn't need to point that out. Not only is your premise about the alleged god flawed, but this thread does not even point (at least not honestly) to the subject which you actually wish to discuss, which is an absolute, objective morality. When you finally admit that that is what you've wanted to discuss all along, i will be gone. There's no such thing as an absolute, objective morality, and it is a topic which not only has been done to death here, but which bores me.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 02:34 pm
For just this once, I agree with everything Set has said. This discussion is pointless and meaningless. If one posits an omnipotent god, there can be no question of "right" and "wrong."
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:06 pm
@Setanta,
I do not state my beliefs as fact, as they are only a conglomerate of my own perceptions, flawed or otherwise.
I opted for a diplomatic question in order to open the conversation up to more people, therefore inviting more opinion. This thread was not intended to be railroaded.

I can only apologise for your misconception and wish you well.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:21 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
Ha ha, Dale, Im not so sure free will means you can do what you want.
Yes, no Smi, not always

Quote:
For instance I believe that I am free to do my own will, however that does not mean I can venture outside the guidelines set by a government that is over me.
All right Smi but you were asking about God not Government

Quote:
In kind, if God (according to the account of creation) did indeed exist, would it be fair to consider him the entrepeneur in the story?
To the extent that She created the Universe out of nothing, then interfers once in a while when things aren't going according to her preconceptions

The pantheist points out however that the idea of creation is full of paradox and contradiction, suggesting She and It had always existed in one form or another, "creation" is an ongoing process indefinitely, while the laws of chance and evolution are Her way of "running" things; that is, to just let it all happen
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:27 pm
@Smileyrius,
Smileyrius wrote:

I can only apologise for your misconception and wish you well.

What misconception are you referring to? I can't see where Setanta has misconceived anything.

(And, btw, so far nobody has as yet hijacked this thread.)
Smileyrius

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 05:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The only misconception is that of my motive for the question. It really was intended as an open discussion. I just have a habit of allowing coherence to escape me from time to time.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:06 pm
@Smileyrius,
OK,fair enough. I don't question peoples' motives in posting threads (or in anything else, as a rule).

But Setanta is spot on in pointing out that if you believe in the kind of god that the Bible posits, it's meaningless to ask about this super-creator having a "right" to anything. By the definition of 'god' and the definition of 'omnipotence' the question is absurdly meaningless.
farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Unless the family is challenging the Old MAn's will.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 06:56 pm
@farmerman,
Laughing

Pls suggest a court that would have jurisdiction.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2013 07:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
...that was fun to read ! Mr. Green
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 03:24 am
@Lustig Andrei,
SO you think a God would worry about a will? Hed just " make it so"
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 01:56 pm
@farmerman,
...at warp speed
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 02:08 am
If a creator God destroyed anyone who raises a challenge without answering the question asked, surely that would leave a huge question mark over his rule?

Rather, by letting the scenario play out he can highlight the flaws of the challenge through experience, thus closing the door on the question being raised again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 02:40 am
You continue to ignore that you are setting up an absolute, objective morality which is apart from and superior to your god.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 03:54 am
@Setanta,
I am trying to understand what you mean by absolute objective morality. By definition, I do not believe morality to be absolute at all.

Is not what we call morality an expectation based on behavioral boundaries, relative to he that sets its parameters? That would make morality flexible according to incident and subject to fluctuation.
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:04 am
@Smileyrius,
What you're describing is situational morality. That is not a response to my criticism, you're dodging the issue. You write: "Is not what we call morality an expectation based on behavioral boundaries, relative to he that sets its parameters?" Who is the "he" who sets the parameters? The implication is that there is someone or something greater than your god who is setting the boundaries, and that is the issue you're dodging.
Smileyrius

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 04:11 am
@Setanta,
Sorry Set, I didnt dodge your question intentionally, I intended that morality is not greater than God, but something that is measured by Gods expectations, or indeed by society. It is a stick against which God or society measure behavior.
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 05:31 am
@Smileyrius,
Then i will point out once again that your "god" is omnipotent in that it has created a cosmos and set the laws by which that cosmos functions, and therefore would also set the standards by which it could be judged. Further, i am pointing out that there are no other sentient beings in that cosmos competent to judge that "god."
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 01:31 pm
@Smileyrius,
Quote:
would he have the right to rule it?

Only if his wife said it was ok.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 14 Apr, 2013 10:28 pm
@Smileyrius,
Yes, but he would find George Bush ruined it and leave for a more enlightened world.