Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 02:26 pm
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/provide-1000-federal-tax-credit-all-volunteer-firefighters-help-them-cover-their-expenses-involved/0prQ8Y4S

I dont normally do this, but I am asking all of my friends to sign this petition.
Since volunteer firefighters dont get paid, but they use their own money to cover gas for their vehicles, certain training and gear, and other expenses, I am hoping that this petition will get the attention of someone in govt.

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 02:38 pm
Volunteer firefighters? Where? Those units are outlawed where I come from. Just think of the liability.
jespah

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 02:39 pm
@PUNKEY,
mysteryman is a volunteer firefighter.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 03:21 pm
@PUNKEY,
Where is that?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 04:44 pm
Let's think about this...

$1000 tax credit equates to $15000 in outlays to someone with a 15% nominal tax rate. Volunteer firemen can already deduct their expenses from their income, reducing their taxable income accordingly.

Quote:
As a volunteer firefighter, you can deduct any expenses incurred during service, such as buying your own equipment. You must subtract any untaxed benefits from your charitable deduction. The Internal Revenue Service, or IRS, does not tax the first $30 in each month's pay that you receive from a volunteer firefighter organization or state or local government. This allowance equals $360 a year. Thus, if you incurred $400 in expenses due to volunteering and earned $360, you could only deduct $40 as a charitable contribution after subtracting your pay.

Read more: Tax Deductions for Volunteer Firefighters | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8614769_tax-deductions-volunteer-firefighters.html#ixzz2PoubpUn4

I'm all in favor of ways to incentivize becoming a volunteer fireman, but I'm not sure that a $1000 tax credit is a reasonable or equitable way to do it.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 04:52 pm
Also, if a volunteer fireman doesn't have $1000 in AGI, should the credit result in the federal government paying the difference, resulting in a $1000 annual payment from the federal government for each volunteer fireman?

I'm not liking this idea very much...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Please read and sign this.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:54:35