How to make italian sausage, or at least try to

Reply Sat 6 Apr, 2013 04:39 pm
I'm trying making my own hot italian sausage again. I tried this before, a year or two ago, and they turned out ok, nothing to write home about, but this time I like the recipe better.

Recipes will vary, and spices will too. There are cajun sausages, linguicas, and so on. I remember a good fish sausage our grocery store used to make.

So, I bought a package of pork for carnitas and a package of beef for carne picada, and ventured to my cheapo food processor (it scared me for a while, didn't use if for a couple of years, the blades..). So now I have five pounds of ground meat...

The recipe I'm following -

http://cookingwithmichele.com/2011/03/homemade-italian-sausage/

I've read in the past that sausages need to be on the fatty side, but my grocery store packaged stuff doesn't have a fat estimate. So..... I may add some chicken fat, that I saved. That could confuse things, porky chicken flavored beef...

Well, the chile flakes will take care of some of the confusion.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 781 • Replies: 1
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Apr, 2013 02:20 pm
@ossobuco,
So - this all turned into fifteen hefty sausages (patties). I didn't add the chicken fat, added a bit of olive oil in with the wine. No additives like bread crumbs to extend the amount.

This came to about $10.00, the beef portion being on 'special'.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to make italian sausage, or at least try to
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 10:52:09