Damsel (or cute guy) in Distress: Do you stop?

suzy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:00 pm
I got a flat today on 495. I had to drive a bit until I found what looked like a safe spot to pull over into the breakdown lane, and once parked, with flashers on, I didn't know what to do. I don't carry a cell phone, and I have no clue how to change a tire (and I'm too much of a "girl" to want to try). Yes, I am aware that that's pathetic.
Anyway, I stood there by my car (terrified to stay inside) as vehicles sped past me doing 70+, and wasn't sure if I should try to flag somebody down or just wait for a good samaritan to stop. (Remember, we've already ascertained that I'm pathetic). Confused I was, quite frankly, hoping that someone would stop just because I was obviously in need of help, and female. As people sped by, I started to wonder exactly how hideous I must look! It was windy and my hair was flying all over the place, etc. I decided I should accept the fact that I am no longer drop-dead gorgeous and nobody would stop just based on my looks. (Let's not get into whether or not I ever WAS drop-dead gorgeous, okay)? And to add insult to injury, my half-full cup of coffee blew over in the wind (it was on my roof) so not only do I have no coffee, I got coffee stains on my car!
So after like 10-15 minutes, an 18 wheeler pulls over (to adjust something on his truck, he said). I asked him if he had a phone I could use so I could call AAA (which I just got last month!) He asked what was wrong, and I'm not sure if he would offer to right it for me, so I said
"Don't worry, I'll have AAA handle it", not wanting to burden him. So I called AAA. While I was on the phone, a statie pulled over and offered her assistance, but now that I had a phone, it was all good. So the two of them left after I made my call, and I was left by myself waiting for the tow truck.
Wouldn't you know, after waiting what seemed an eternity for ANYONE to pull over the first time, once I had called AAA, people started pulling over every minute. Another cop, a pretty handsome guy who said he was a cop, a MassHighways truck, and two other random men offered assistance. In addition, a car pulled up to ask me directions to the outlet mall! I thought that was pretty humorous. At one point, there were 2 other vehicles pulled over with me, so I guess I'm not as hideous as I feared! Or maybe it's because I opened my trunk, so one could no longer see the "Anybody But Bush" poster displayed in my rear window, I don't know... So anyway, my tire was changed and I made my way home (to my other office, actually) and that was my misadventure for the day, but I thought I'd ask you guys (and by guys I mean people!). Do you stop to help strangers on the side of the highway? What factors would have to be present to motivate you to stop? What do you suggest someone in the predicament I was in do, to attract attention, while still appearing "dignified"? Cool I am well aware of what happens when you get into cars with strange men (and by that I mean men) :wink: and also aware of accidents where people have been struck and killed while waiting beside highways. For my part, I'm getting a cell phone tomorrow!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,168 • Replies: 47
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:05 pm
Go Suzy! Go Suzy!

I rarely if ever would stop to help anyone. Especially after that Rte 24 horror that happened a few years ago (remember that?). I do carry a cell and if someone really needed help, I might offer to call someone for them. Or perhaps I'd just call the cops and tell them that there was a break down and let them deal with it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:15 pm
I dun'no. When my previous car broke down, so help me, a lady on a bycycle stopped, called home on her cell, and had her husband look up and call a wrecker. After 45 minutes without a sign of a wrecker, she called again and got confirmation that the wrecker was on the way before pedeling off. After that, I'm more motivated than before so far as stopping - but probably not for a group unless one is a very young child.

You're cute, Suzy. I can tell.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:24 pm
One thing i've noticed about folks in Ohio is their willingness to help. I've twice been run off the road by idiot drivers in winter conditions, when i was driving a van, which i could not just drive back onto the road the way i would with the jeep. On both occasions, one person after the other, about every 30 seconds, would pull over to ask if they could put in a call for me, or to offer other help. Once, when the van was buried nose down in the snow piled in the median, another van pulled over, the guy got out, opened the back, pulled out a shovel, handed me another one, and we dug the van out. He then took the shovels, got back in his vehicle and drove away, all without a word spoken. I complain like hell about Ohio drivers, and they are some of the worst i've ever seen--but they are great about helping the motorist in distress, and they are great about stopping to let someone pull out or turn in front of them when traffic is in long lines.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:28 pm
haha! Roger, A lady on a bicycle?! That's so cool! Laughing
That she hung around for 45 minutes is a testament to your charm and wit, Roger! And I know you're cute, too! I don't know if I'd stop for a group either. you'd be outnumbered. And you never know...
I do remember that, Littlek. Awful stuff. What I was hoping, while standing out there, was that somebody speeding by would at least call the cops, which is probably what I would do, myself, as opposed to stopping. I mean, I wouldn't be much help anyway, obviously! Say, maybe that's why all those cops came by?! I did feel a bit safer, knowing there were so many cops on the road, but Boy, things have changed. When I was younger, my girlfriends and I sometimes would pull over on the road and open the hood just to meet guys! (worked like a charm)! I wouldn't dare do that nowadays. Paranoia is my friend! It keeps me alive. Smile
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
One thing i've noticed about folks in Ohio is their willingness to help. I've twice been run off the road by idiot drivers in winter conditions, when i was driving a van, which i could not just drive back onto the road the way i would with the jeep. On both occasions, one person after the other, about every 30 seconds, would pull over to ask if they could put in a call for me, or to offer other help. Once, when the van was buried nose down in the snow piled in the median, another van pulled over, the guy got out, opened the back, pulled out a shovel, handed me another one, and we dug the van out. He then took the shovels, got back in his vehicle and drove away, all without a word spoken. I complain like hell about Ohio drivers, and they are some of the worst i've ever seen--but they are great about helping the motorist in distress, and they are great about stopping to let someone pull out or turn in front of them when traffic is in long lines.

So are you gonna move there then? Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:41 pm
I'm lookin' to move away in, i hope, the not too distant future.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:41 pm
Wow, Setanta! That's nice. I love the shovel story; that's a real guy thing, huh?! From your first sentence, I thought you were gonna say something entirely different: "One thing i've noticed about folks in Ohio is their willingness to help. I've twice been run off the road "... Laughing
Around here, drivers are more likely to be called "Massholes". It's sort of our slogan!
My oldest recently moved to Vermont, and he said that you can spot a Massachusetts driver a mile away. Of course, we're not all that obnoxious!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:49 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm lookin' to move away in, i hope, the not too distant future.

Maybe the motorists will be as helpful, and drive better too wherever you go... Very Happy
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:52 pm
It would depend on the situation, but if I'm in a car alone, the most I'd likely do is offer to call someone. But like I said, it would depend on the circumstances. Unlike guys, I feel more vulnerable being by myself out in the big bad world.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:55 pm
They drive fast as hell in Ontario--its never a question of whether or not they're speeding, just how much over the limit they're goin'. That being said, they usually signal lane changes, and pull back to the right after passing. No one is as bad as the is the "dreaded Ohio driver." (The phrase in quote marks there is taken directly from an autobiography written by a woman from Pennsylvania.)
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:04 pm
Suzy,

Sorry to hear about your flat.

[It's terrible that you don't know how to change a tire - probably because you don't wanna wreck your nailpolish Wink]

I've stopped on a number of occassions to help people on the side of the road. Obviously every situation is different but generally if I'm not in a rush to get somewhere I'll help out. The more secluded the road, the more likely I'll help - cause I wouldn't ever want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere and not have anyone stop for me.

As for your looks...if you look anything like your avatar - I'd stop for you in a second.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:14 pm
"Dreaded Ohio driver"? Hmmm. At least they got that sniper dude.

But yeah, I noticed the friendliness, the allowing you to pull into lanes 'n' stuff. I approve.

(Ohio can't handle both of us at the same time, eh?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:25 pm
I've never seen you drive, Soz, so i know not whereof you speak . . . ought i be worried?
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:27 pm
"As for your looks...if you look anything like your avatar - I'd stop for you in a second."
Caffeine achiever, Jer? Laughing
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:30 pm
I like my coffee - you'd look better in a mug than a cup/saucer though...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:30 pm
I drive just beautifully, thanks.

(Most of the time.)

I was referring to your comments to the effect that you'll be moving away from OH soon, while I'll be moving there soon... a li'l switcheroo.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:31 pm
My dad was stabbed once picking up a hitch-hiker so I'm a little leary, but I'm a softy at heart so I help people whenever I can.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:33 pm
Stabbed?!

Yoiks.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:40 pm
Thank Goodness people stopped to help you. Can't say I would have. And the idea of being the one needing help and maybe having to get into a strangers' car scares me even more. Thank GOD for cell phones!!!
A few years back, my husband and I had car trouble and ended up on the side of the road. I was appalled that a young woman with two young children pulled over to help. Hubby was standing outside the car, she didn't/couldn't see me so, she stopped for him, a strange man. A handsome man, sure, and I was grateful of course but still, what a chance she took. With her kids, no less. Shocked
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Damsel (or cute guy) in Distress: Do you stop?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 12:58:34