march,april, 2013 lovatt,s baffler

gra gra

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:15 am
could anyone help me please with the answer to this question, hamlet,s the ??e? man. many thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,960 • Replies: 27
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:41 am
@gra gra,
Someone else asked this and Cherrie, who like most Yanks, doesn't actually have the puzzles, wondered if it was really Hammet, as in Dashiel Hammet, the creator of noir murder mysteries, not Hamlet, in which case it would be "the Thin Man" after his best known book, which inspired a series of films in the 30s. Is it Hammet?
cherrie

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:01 am
@MontereyJack,
I'm actually an Aussie, and usually have some of the puzzles, but I think this must be the British edition.
And this is the same poster, so he obviously didn't like my answer.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:32 am
I'm a Yank, and we NEVER get the puzzles, so we enjoy guessing. I thought that was a great guess (read all the Hammets years ago).
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:33 am
just googled it. I kept having the feeling it was Hammett--two t's, and it is. Still a great guess. I like your answer, whether or not the puzzle-creator did.
cherrie

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:58 am
@MontereyJack,
Glad you liked it, I hope Gra Gra will come back and let us know if it is right or not.
James34

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 11:55 am
@cherrie,
Hi cherrie and MontereyJack,
I have just checked through the latest Baffler, and cannot find this clue, also had a look at the Stinker. Well who know's.
Remember cherrie I said you would stand in for Dutchy, no not being patronising. Love to read your posts.
James
cherrie

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 07:27 pm
@James34,
Thanks for that, James.
Well if I can't find it in the Aussie edition, and you can't find it in the UK one, then as you said, who knows?
0 Replies

Jobazzer

Reply Sun 24 Mar, 2013 03:31 am
@James34,
Hi James, just a query about your mention of Dutchy in your last post, has anyone heard from him recently. ?? He was not well earlier in the year & I have not noticed any posts from him since.. Any news, ???? JO..
jacaranda

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 06:45 pm
@Jobazzer,
Hi Jo
Like you I have been waiting to see the "eagle" pop up but so far it hasn't happened. Hard to know what to think so if any body knows something would they please let us all know. Would be grateful for any news.
Jacaranda
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:01 pm
@Jobazzer,
Hi Jo,
If you type 'Yabber Liner' into the ' Search Forums' box it will take you to a thread that talks about Dutchy.
But to sum it up as I understand it, he had his surgery and was then in an induced coma for some weeks. He is out of that now, and making good progress, although still in hospital.
jacaranda

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 11:49 pm
@cherrie,
Thank you Cherrie
0 Replies

margsy

Reply Tue 26 Mar, 2013 05:14 am
@cherrie,
l am sure that all the regular posters on here would like to wish dutchy well, he has a brilliant mind and can recall things from way back, his head is like a thesaurus,history,geography book all rolled into one. Get well soon my boy. xx Hopfully this message can be passed on to him and his family, l cannot access the site suggested for some reason.
vonny

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:28 am
@margsy,
Try http://able2know.org/topic/111721-1 - that ought to get you to the Yabber-Liner.
vonny

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 04:39 am
@margsy,
Quote:
l am sure that all the regular posters on here would like to wish dutchy well, he has a brilliant mind and can recall things from way back, his head is like a thesaurus,history,geography book all rolled into one. Get well soon my boy. xx Hopfully this message can be passed on to him and his family, l cannot access the site suggested for some reason.

Hi Margsy, I've posted the above on the Yabber-Liner and am sure someone will get the message to Dutchy.
margsy

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 07:10 am
@vonny,
Thank you so much vonny. ttfn x.
vonny

Reply Fri 29 Mar, 2013 01:21 pm
@margsy,
ttfn!
margsy

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 05:05 am
@vonny,
TA TA FOR NOW,IT IS AN ENGLISH SAYING FROM THE JIMMY HANDLEY SHOW FROM WW2
MontereyJack

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 07:20 am
ah, I was wondering.
0 Replies

James34

Reply Sat 30 Mar, 2013 11:43 am
@margsy,
Tut Tut Margsy, Jimmy Handley was the boy next door actor. You are looking for Tommy Handley from ITMA ( It's That Man Again). Col Chinstrap, I do not mind if I do. Mrs Mopp. Can I do you now sir.
Happy memories.
Have a nice Easter, hope the snow has gone, we had snow showers earlier
James