farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 09:52 am
@RABEL222,
The problem with "Other sources" is that theyre pretty much agenda driven bullshit also.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:38 am
@Setanta,
In the Murdoch press perhaps, but the BBC and other papers weren't so credulous. My own MP, John Denham, resigned his cabinet seat in protest before the war.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
Setanta wrote:

There was plenty of slack-jawed credulity to go around. When the PM told the Commons with a straight face that the Iraqis could launch missiles with WoMD warheads with only 45 minutes notice, there were plenty of fools in the UK who bought that bullshit.
Well, not really as far as I remember.
(I was guest at a Labour party meeting, where the local MP, a Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and my friend's friend, got "loud opposition" [aka mutiny Wink ] from all but half a dozen of the 100+ audience.)
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 10:59 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I've not said that the reaction was universal. The point is that in the nations that signed on for the invasion bullshit, some of the press were supporting it and swallowing the bullshit whole. Your thread from 2002 shows that not everyone in the United States was buying it, either.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 11:26 am
I have been firmly in group one since day one. I was very pleased when Chretien said non to Bush.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 12:09 pm
@farmerman,
True, but if foreign news sources along with the U.S. sources are consulted, you sometimes can get a true picture of whats going on, if you sift through the political bs. Too much thinking and sifting for most U.S. citizens. Easier to listen to some TV personality who probebly dosent know as much as most of the listeners.
Advocate

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 12:22 pm
Regarding going into Iraq, the public, and the world for that matter, were defrauded by the Bush administration. It actually had a group in the WH, called the Iraq Group, for the sole purpose of inventing excuses to invade. Thus, it is hard to blame the public for being taken in.

Bush, Cheney, Rice, Powell, et al., were making outright false public pronouncements supporting the need to invade. A good example was the Bush speech in which he touched on yellow cake.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:50 pm
@RABEL222,
That's exactly what I've been saying for forever, Rabel. It's no different for the illegal invasion of Vietnam, yet Setanta wants to give himself and all the war criminals from that era a free pass, like they were doing something noble.

Any fool who looks at the history of the US knows that the US has used this same spiel to justify every one of their illegal invasions, which means virtually all invasions.

In the old days, the US had no worries about covering their dirty tracks. The media has always been there for them, and a big thing, information just moved slower.

For god's sake there was Nicaragua, Grenada, Panama, Guatemala, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Libya, Iraq, Somalia, Yugoslavia, Bosnia, Haiti, Zaire, Liberia, ... .

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 01:52 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
The problem with "Other sources" is that theyre pretty much agenda driven bullshit also.

And academic that you are, Farmer, you are completely satisfied with one agenda driven bullshit source.

I've noticed that about you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:12 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
There are two, and perhaps only two, examples of American success in nation building: Japan and Germany.

What absolute bullshit! The US knew that neither of these nations could be forced/cowed into the US preferred form of "nation building", ie. brutal right wing dictators who allowed the US to rape and pillage. Had the US tried such a thing, there would have been lots of disappeared US troops in Germany and Japan.

Quote:
Rebuilding a destroyed enemy nation is wise strateg, however, the US didn't go to war with Japan or Germany with the underlying goal of rebuilding their nations; transforming them into some semblence of allies or democratice beacons. The US went to war with Japan and Germany to destroy them, and the fact that it and allies were so successful in their destructive goal made successful nation building possible.

More crap from the crap master.

The US went to war because they saw a tremendous opportunity to come out of the war as thee top dog. Whereas before WWII, the US had much competition in SE Asia, after WWII they didn't.

For proof, one only has to look to the viciousness of the US in SE Asia in order to try to maintain their position. Vietnam was a country that wanted only what the US had gained from the UK, its freedom. But the US spent 25 years not only denying that to the people of Vietnam; they spent that 25 years brutalizing not only Vietnam but many others of SE Asia, including the people of Korea, Cambodia, Laos.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:16 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The opinions seem to fall into four general categories:

You seem to have forgotten the most accurate category, Finn. I wonder why.

"I knew it was a war crime, how could anyone support it, and it's obvious it would turn out to be another series of major crimes against humanity perpetrated by the US."

But your attempts at propaganda have been partly successful. You seem to have duped all into accepting your highly inaccurate choice of words, the same silly euphemisms that folks like you are so fond of.

You've even tricked the great academic, Farmerman.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 02:18 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
In other words we were brainwashed just as throughly as any of the communist countries by our government and our media.

Makes me wonder what we're buying now. When everyone has an agenda, it's difficult to decide which agenda to buy. Not that this excuses us from trying to get it. But, it is difficult from where a U.S. citizen like me sits.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 03:47 pm
As the discussion has trended that way, here is a Wikipedia article on opposition to the invasion of Iraq. From that article:

Quote:
The Iraq War has met with considerable popular opposition in the United States, beginning during the planning stages and continuing through the invasion subsequent occupation of Iraq. The months leading up to the war saw protests across the United States, the largest of which, held on February 15, 2003 involved about 300,000 to 400,000 protesters in New York City, with smaller numbers protesting in Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, and other cities.

Consistent with the anti-war sentiment of the protests, in the months leading up to the Iraq War, American public opinion heavily favored a diplomatic solution over immediate military intervention. A January 2003 CBS News/New York Times poll found that 63% of Americans wanted President Bush to find a diplomatic solution to the Iraq situation, compared with 31% who favored immediate military intervention. That poll also found, however, that if diplomacy failed, support for military action to remove Saddam Hussein was above 60 percent.

Days before the March 20 invasion, a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll found support for the war was related to UN approval. Nearly six in 10 said they were ready for such an invasion "in the next week or two." But that support dropped off if the U.N. backing was not first obtained. If the U.N. Security Council were to reject a resolution paving the way for military action, only 54% of Americans favored a U.S. invasion. And if the Bush administration did not seek a final Security Council vote, support for a war dropped to 47%.

It appears that those who are insisting that Americans went along with the invasion without protest are peddling an unfounded accusation.

The article has this to say about the UK:

Quote:
In the United Kingdom, both the governing Labour Party and the official opposition Conservative Party were in favour of the invasion. The Liberal Democrats insisted on a U.N. resolution; they opposed the war as a result. Outside parliament, anti-war sentiment was more widespread: the February 15, 2003 protest in London attracted between 750,000 and 2,000,000 supporters from various walks of life. Prominent politicians and other individuals expressing anti-war views included: Ken Clarke[53] Charles Kennedy, Menzies Campbell, Robin Cook, Tony Benn, George Galloway, Chris Martin, Damon Albarn, Ms. Dynamite, and Bianca Jagger. Cook resigned from the government two days before the start of the invasion, saying:

Our interests are best protected not by unilateral action but by multilateral agreement and a world order governed by rules. Yet tonight the international partnerships most important to us are weakened: the European Union is divided; the Security Council is in stalemate. Those are heavy casualties of a war in which a shot has yet to be fired.

That suggests that the government were acting against the wishes of their people.

In the cases of Germany, France and Italy, the populace of each nation were opposed, with only Italy going along with the United States against the interests of their people.

These things are never simple, and it's unwise to make simplistic generalizations on the subject.
JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:03 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
Makes me wonder what we're buying now. When everyone has an agenda, it's difficult to decide which agenda to buy. Not that this excuses us from trying to get it. But, it is difficult from where a U.S. citizen like me sits.

I always thought of you as a US citizen that had a pretty grasp of the situation, Lola. And if, not to mention when you consider the history of the US, perhaps your grasp is not so good in this area, it's not at "difficult to decide which agenda to buy".

One only has to notice that the US doesn't ever do anything in this regard for altruistic reasons. So [not JoefromChicago's 'so'] as soon as you hear any of that sort of crap, you know that you're being lied to.

What's so difficult about figuring that out?

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 05:23 pm
Iraq Reconsidered is the same type of whitewash that Andrei Lustig attempted with Afghanistan and Iraq: a retrospective .

http://able2know.org/topic/203331-1

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:11 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
That suggests that the government were acting against the wishes of their people.

Exactly. I thought it was fairly obvious.

The truth is that in the runup to the war British public opinion didn't matter, it was only American public opinion that would have swayed Bush.
Lola

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:12 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
One only has to notice that the US doesn't ever do anything in this regard for altruistic reasons.

I don't believe any one, individual or state, ever does anything for purely altruistic reasons. If there's no personal gratification in it, a person doesn't act. It's not as simple as you describe. It's not whether it's altruistic or not. It never is. It's more about how it's being done and is it being done with the best balance and consideration for others as can be managed. Those who act with totally altruistic motivations will not live long. We have to meet our needs.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:13 pm
@izzythepush,
The remark wasn't about Bush, it was about Blair and Straw. You never admit that the English can have made any mistakes, or have any flaws. Keep your self-serving bullshit to yourself.
Setanta

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:23 pm
Blair made an appeal in the Commons, and was supported by the majority of the MPs. Whatever Bush may have wanted, the members of Parliament were responsible for the decision. Any other claims are purest hogwash.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 06:25 pm
@Lola,
Quote:
I don't believe any one, individual or state, ever does anything for purely altruistic reasons.

Then why the steady, plus two century long stream of propaganda from the US suggesting that they are altruistic, Lola, and what's even worse, the acceptance of the same from the populace at large.

Quote:
It's more about how it's being done and is it being done with the best balance and consideration for others as can be managed.

Are you suggesting that this lower form of altruism describes the US?

1. Forums
  2. » Iraq Reconsidered
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 02:23:55